LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using windows network domain for security login

Hello,

I'm Using the NI security login feature with LabVIEW 8.5.1 and the DSC module.

Currently I'm Using a local NI-Domain, with Users and Groups created with the NI-Domain Account Manager.

Is it possible to avoid this extra administration by integrating an existing windows network domain and its users and groups?

The idea is to give the users the possibility to log on to the LabVIEW-application with their regular windows account data.

This would make it a lot more comfortable for them to manage user ID's and passwords.

Is their a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,600 Views)

Hello,

I forgot to mention that I already tried to search for the network domain using the domain account manager, but it didn't find any. The application is running on a PC that is part of a windows network domain, but starts automatically using a local account. Could this be the reason why the domain search delivers an empty list?

Are there any preconditions I have to consider, or is this kind of "network domain"-feature simply not what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,590 Views)

Hello Thomas,

we're sorry, but it is not possible to avoid this extra administration by integrating an existing windows network domain and its users and groups.

Best regards

Dippi 

Message 3 of 6
(3,574 Views)
Hello Dipi,

thanks for your answer.

To bad that this is not possible with the NI DomaNI Account Manager. The customer requests that kNId of logNI functionality and I don't want to give up searchNIg for a solution.

What do you thNIk: could it be possible that the wNIdows API offers that kNId of functionality? A method to validate wNIdows user logNI data would be helpful.

This validation via wNIdows API (if available) could be programmaticaly combNIed with the NI LogNI and security concept:

- user names and passwords could be managed NI the wNIdows network domaNI

- for NI security issues user names and groups would be locally admNIistrated usNIg the NI domaNI account manager (with empty passwords)

- a logNI dialog would than validate the typed NI user data usNIg some kNId of wNIdows API method

- if the data is valid, the user name is used for a programmatic NI security logNI (this is why the password can be empty)

- than, if the user is locally registered NI the NI domaNI account manager, the application can be used with security features

- if the user is not locally registered NI the NI domaNI account manager, logNI fails

Does someone have an idea if this could be possible?

Thanks NI advance for any further ideas!

Regards,

Thomas
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,548 Views)

Hello, 

sorry for bumping this 8 year-old thread but is this still the case with the latest version of LabVIEW (2015) and DSC toolkit (2015)?

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,081 Views)

I believe so.  If you want to integrate domain credentials into your application, you can do so without needing DSC, you just need to call into Windows with some API.  Here are some examples.

https://lavag.org/topic/15260-labview-and-windows-authentication/

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,051 Views)