LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Community Version To Undertake the Core 1 Course

Solved!
Go to solution

I have just bought the Core 1 distance learning course and may have wasted my money

The initial lesson gets you to set up a virtual system to use within the course.

It instructs you to go to Devices and Interfaces and at the top of the page select "Create new"

However, as I am self funding this I only have the community version of labview to use.  This does not have the "Create new" dropdown box in Devices and Interfaces.

Is there a way that I can complete the course using the community version of Labview or have I wasted nearly £500?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(2,120 Views)

@Jake603 wrote:

I have just bought the Core 1 distance learning course and may have wasted my money

The initial lesson gets you to set up a virtual system to use within the course.

It instructs you to go to Devices and Interfaces and at the top of the page select "Create new"

However, as I am self funding this I only have the community version of labview to use.  This does not have the "Create new" dropdown box in Devices and Interfaces.

Is there a way that I can complete the course using the community version of Labview or have I wasted nearly £500?

This is one of the things that Community Edition was created for!  I understand why you're nervous about potentially spending that much money for nothing.

Top of what page?  LabVIEW has no "pages".  What are you supposed to create?  Give us a little hint at what it wants you to do overall so we can help you to make sense of the instructions.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(2,094 Views)

Are we talking about NI MAX?  I think you have to have some device drivers installed before you can create a new device.  My guess is you need to install whatever driver it is that corresponds to the new (probably virtual) device the course wants you to create.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Message 3 of 17
(2,087 Views)

Yes it is NI Max

The instructions however did not say anything about installing drivers.  My assumption is that you are configuring something that is latent in the software

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(2,076 Views)

Hi Jake,

in MAX you can create simulated DAQmx devices - but you need to install DAQmx before to be able to do so!

@Jake603 wrote:

My assumption is that you are configuring something that is latent in the software

Your assumption is correct: the simulation is done by the DAQmx driver software!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 5 of 17
(2,074 Views)

LOL, I did that GerdW, that's how I know the community version didn't give me the option!

(That was another assumption by the training as that was  not stated - presumably people do this on work systems normally)

Thanks for your reply anyway buddy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(2,066 Views)

@Jake603 wrote:

LOL, I did that GerdW, that's how I know the community version didn't give me the option!

(That was another assumption by the training as that was  not stated - presumably people do this on work systems normally)

Thanks for your reply anyway buddy

That's bad.  I'm sorry you're having this trouble.  😞

I wonder why installing DAQmx didn't give you the option?  Can you verify that Max lists it in the software section?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 7 of 17
(2,040 Views)

Will do when I get home this evening

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(2,037 Views)

I was going to ask you some (I'm sorry to admit) almost insulting questions, like did you install DAQmx and MAX, but then realized I had a version of LabVIEW Community Edition I could test, and you are Absolutely Correct -- MAX does not have "Create New".

The only explanation that I can about is that the Community Edition is not (and expressly forbidden by the License) for use for Academic purposes, and NI probably considers the Core LabVIEW course "Academic".  I don't have a good solution for you at the present time, I'm sorry to say.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(2,012 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I was going to ask you some (I'm sorry to admit) almost insulting questions, like did you install DAQmx and MAX, but then realized I had a version of LabVIEW Community Edition I could test, and you are Absolutely Correct -- MAX does not have "Create New".

The only explanation that I can about is that the Community Edition is not (and expressly forbidden by the License) for use for Academic purposes, and NI probably considers the Core LabVIEW course "Academic".  I don't have a good solution for you at the present time, I'm sorry to say.

No.  As already stated, the NI training was one of the reasons for LabVIEW Community.  The other major use was the maker community who use Arduinos, Raspberry Pis, and whatever else Linx is used for.  So I'm guessing it just came with a stripped down version of DAQmx or no DAQmx at all.  I will have to find an installer and verify this.

So my suggestion is to just go download DAQmx or just install through NIPM.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 10 of 17
(2,010 Views)