Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Community Version To Undertake the Core 1 Course

Solved!
Go to solution

@crossrulz wrote:

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I was going to ask you some (I'm sorry to admit) almost insulting questions, like did you install DAQmx and MAX, but then realized I had a version of LabVIEW Community Edition I could test, and you are Absolutely Correct -- MAX does not have "Create New".

The only explanation that I can about is that the Community Edition is not (and expressly forbidden by the License) for use for Academic purposes, and NI probably considers the Core LabVIEW course "Academic".  I don't have a good solution for you at the present time, I'm sorry to say.

No.  As already stated, the NI training was one of the reasons for LabVIEW Community.  The other major use was the maker community who use Arduinos, Raspberry Pis, and whatever else Linx is used for.  So I'm guessing it just came with a stripped down version of DAQmx or no DAQmx at all.  I will have to find an installer and verify this.

So my suggestion is to just go download DAQmx or just install through NIPM

@crossrulz:

I apologize -- I hadn't noticed my installation of LabVIEW Community was missing DAQmx!  I just re-opened it, updated NIPM to NIPM 20.5, and will add DAQmx and verify whether or not that fixes the situation (I'll be the Test Dummy).  Back in a few minutes ...

Bob Schor

Message 11 of 17
(1,187 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jake603

That was it!  Installing DAQmx, rebooting, and opening MAX gives the "Create New" option, and using this, I was able to generate a simulated PCI-6221.  This should solve the OP's problem, as earlier responders (billko, GerdW, and crossrulz) have suggested.

Bob Schor

Message 12 of 17
(1,182 Views)

Bob and everyone else, thanks for your assistance.  I will give this a go over the weekend and let you know how I get on. 

I am not really a computer orientated person, at least in this kind of respect.   My test and development activities and approach are defiantly what could be termed 'analogue' hence my attempt via this course to bring myself into the 21st centaury.

Message 13 of 17
(1,157 Views)

@Jake603 wrote:

Bob and everyone else, thanks for your assistance.  I will give this a go over the weekend and let you know how I get on. 

I am not really a computer orientated person, at least in this kind of respect.   My test and development activities and approach are defiantly what could be termed 'analogue' hence my attempt via this course to bring myself into the 21st centaury.

I think you've chosen the programming environment that best matches your skill set.  While having previous programming experience definitely helps after you've learned LabVIEW basics, it definitely hampers you when trying to understand and adapt to the very underpinnings of LabVIEW, which is: DATAFLOW.  You won't have "unlearn" anything, so you won't be starting from square (-1).  You'll actually be starting from square (+1).  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,133 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

That was it!  Installing DAQmx, rebooting, and opening MAX gives the "Create New" option, and using this, I was able to generate a simulated PCI-6221.  This should solve the OP's problem, as earlier responders (billko, GerdW, and crossrulz) have suggested.

Bob Schor

Sorry to swoop in here, but I also did not noticed that I am missing DAQmx VI that can be found in the functions tool panel that can be found in the Labview block diagram panel by right click > measurement IO normally.... Should my concern by a separate post maybe?  when you say "Installing DAQmx", how did you actually install it? With what tool?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,062 Views)

From NIPM:Install DAQmx.png

Bob Schor

Message 16 of 17
(1,055 Views)

That worked now I have the VIs thank you!

Message 17 of 17
(1,042 Views)