From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Control Clusters to NXG Style

Solved!
Go to solution

Lets say I wanted to update a typedef cluster contain an array of enums to a different style, like the new NXG style available in LabVIEW 2018. How would I go about doing that?

I can right-click replace the enum, but if I right-click replace the array, the enum inside is gone, and if I right-click replace the cluster, everything in the cluster is gone...

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,387 Views)

Use a strict typedef for your cluster and ENUM. When you change the appearance of the typedef all your instances of that typedef will be updated.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,380 Views)

You'll probably have to re-create your clusters, but good job making a typedef, it should make the pain minimal!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,372 Views)

Mark,

I'm aware that all instances will update when I update one. What I'm trying to do is update the the typedef without recreating it from scratch.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,323 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mpalframan

So a while ago I wrote some code to modernize the front panel.  My reasoning was that many controls are there just for debugging and for an API that the user never sees.  So wasting space with silver controls irked me.  This code does drill into clusters and will replace them with a while loop recursion.  I looked into what it would take to replace with the NXG style and unfortunately I don't see the obvious way to do that.  The Style of the Replace action may have NXG style controls but I don't know what they are called.  Only the NXG Tab style is obvious.  

EDIT:  Okay it seems NI didn't make new styles for these controls, they just made custom CTL files which can be found here <vi.lib>\NXG_controls  Someone could re-write my code to do a replace with the file path and it might work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,310 Views)