cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update email question

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I have received an email from National Instruments which starts "Thank you for using NI software. Because of your active Standard Service Program membership, you can benefit from the latest version of the following software:"

and then there is a download link to LabVIEW.

If I run 'Check for Updates'/'NI Update Service' in my already installed version of LabVIEW, it says I'm all up-to-date.

Does the email mean there's a new version, though, that's not showing up in 'NI Update Service'?  It's really not clear and I don't want to download 1.5GB of files to find I've got the latest version already...

The reason I'm not asking NI directly is that they sent the confusing email in the first place - I'd rather know from someone who's had the experience.

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,527 Views)

If you don't tell us what you're running how do we know what's new for you?

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,525 Views)

That's kind of my point.  I'm running 17.0.1f1 (32-bit), but I don't see how that helps you know what the download link is offering me - the link goes to: http://www.ni.com/gate/gb/GB_EVALLVUSER/US

I guess I'll have to download it and see...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,508 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jcswright

The email tells you can use the latest version when it's released. It doesn't mean there is a newer version right now.

In other words, the email informs you that you are entitled to use the latest version during the SSP period. That's all.

So when there is a new release, you can upgrade (during SSP period).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,507 Views)

Perfect - thank you!  I can ignore it for now then.  Good to know.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,501 Views)

In the National Instruments world there is a huge difference between update and upgrade.

Every year there is a new version of LabVIEW released, the current version 2018 has just been released. 

It is not a update, it is a new version. 

There are 2 sections in NI Update Service, first section deals with updates for your current installed LabVIEW versions. 

Second section has the options to download and install the latest versions of NI software if these are not installed and you have a valid SSP. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,485 Views)

Thank you - so a new version is an upgrade not an update.  And the email does say "you can benefit from the latest version", so I should have read more into it.

My NI Update Service doesn't have any upgrades in the second section, so I guess it was just a random email.  I have a valid SSP.

Will ignore it!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,481 Views)

In your defense, the email could be a bit more clearer.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,477 Views)