Did you mean: 

Unable to rename or delete VI file

Solved!
Go to solution

This is driving me crazy.

I work on a project.

Save it.

Close LV2012 completely.

Try to move the project folder to another location from Windows explorer.

But it keeps on telling me this cannot be done as one of the file (s) is open in another program. For sure I know there is no "another" program except LV2012 and that also is closed for sure.

I have to restart the computer to be able to anything with the Project folder - rename it or move it or  even delete it.

What is going on ?

(LV2012 . SP1 on WIndows 7.)

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(2,983 Views)

Does this happen with a new/empty project as well?

If not, i would focus my search on ActiveX/.NET components you use in your application.....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(2,981 Views)

Make sure the process is killed completely (check task manager).

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(2,975 Views)

@Raghunathan wrote:

This is driving me crazy.

I work on a project.

Save it.

Close LV2012 completely.

Try to move the project folder to another location from Windows explorer.

(LV2012 . SP1 on WIndows 7.)

Why would you do that?  Smiley Surprised

The project knows where its members are supposed to be.  If you go around moving them on disk without going through the files view of the project explorer the closed project won't know where you moved things too.

An exact annalogy to borowing dads car without asking and parking it in some random garage down the block.  Dad is going to be irked when he tries to find the car again and will need you to tell him where you put it.

And let me guess ~~~ oh, Magic 8-ball ~~~~ Does the OP use Auto-populating folders instead of virtual ones?  

Stop that.  Auto-pop folders are evil.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(2,959 Views)

I'm hoping that he means moving the physical folder, including all the VIs.

Troublshooting exercises:

Open LV 2012 and close it without doing anything.  Then try to move the folder.  Does it work?

Open LV 2012.  Open the project.  Open the main VI, then close it.  Try moving the folder.  Does it work?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(2,950 Views)

So why would I do that ?

I work on the office PC on a project.

I want to go home and work.

SO I copy the WHOLE project folder to a pen drive.

Now I close LV2012 fully on the office PC after saving the project etc.

Just to make sure which date I worked on the project, I just want to rename the folder with data info like _29Oct2014. ( I know there are other professional ways like version control etc but this is simple even if dirty)

I cannot do that renaming.

And that precisly is my problem.

( If it would help to know - I NEVER add or delete any file from project outside the project environment)

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(2,949 Views)

Open LV 2012 and close it without doing anything.  Then try to move the folder.  Does it work?  [ I AM NOT CLEAR ON THIS. I DONT DO ANYTHING TO THE PROJECT ?? ]

Open LV 2012.  Open the project.  Open the main VI, then close it.  Try moving the folder.  Does it work? [ NO IT DOES NOT WORK. THE FOLDER CANNOT BE MOVED ]

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,948 Views)

Use the project explorer to move the files.

Yes the Project explorers files view.  Windows explorer should be closed  You should do nothing to any file belonging to a project without using the project explorer.  That is what I meant by "Why would you want to do that?" don't do that 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,937 Views)

@Raghunathan wrote:

Just to make sure which date I worked on the project, I just want to rename the folder with data info like _29Oct2014. ( I know there are other professional ways like version control etc but this is simple even if dirty)

Yes, it is very dirty.  And SCC is actually really simple too.  It takes just a few minutes to set up a repository and then it can be as simple as a right-click->commit (with Tortoise SVN).  SCC keeps everything organized, you can go back to previous versions, and so much more, all without mucking with folder names and copying files.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,933 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@Raghunathan wrote:

Yes, it is very dirty.  And SCC is actually really simple too.  It takes just a few minutes to set up a repository and then it can be as simple as a right-click->commit (with Tortoise SVN).  SCC keeps everything organized, you can go back to previous versions, and so much more, all without mucking with folder names and copying files.

I can't live without it.  It feels like driving without a safty belt.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,907 Views)