LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TypeDef Ring does not generate a value change event

Solved!
Go to solution

Posting to see if anyone else has experienced this and maybe discover if it's intended behavior or not.

I was writing a simple test VI that basically involved using a ring to generate the correct set of binary data (number to bool array), which would then be used to turn relays on/off. This was written to occur on the value change event of the ring. 

Note, I had made the ring a type def, in case I changed values after testing. When I tested the VI, though, nothing was happening -- the event case never triggered. I slapped down a fresh ring and event struct in a new VI and it triggered just fine. Put my type def ring in there, again no event!

Is there a reason that a type def ring won't generate a value change event but a regular one will?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,237 Views)
Solution
Accepted by michael.lambert

Both of those controls trigger the event for me. 

Edit: You should really have a loop around your event structure so that it continues to monitor for events.  Otherwise the structure will only detect one event and execution will end (unless you are using the dreaded Run Continuously). 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,227 Views)
Yep, no problems triggering the event for me either, LV 2016.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,206 Views)

Restarted LabVIEW and it works - posted prematurely!

Thank you for the note on architecture. I would never code anything like that. It was just quick and very easy to know whether the event happened, since the VI would stop if it did or would keep running if not.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,204 Views)

FYI - be aware of this caveat when using a typdef'd ring.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,195 Views)