LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Type defs do not update

Solved!
Go to solution

I am new to using type defs and was under the inpression that if I updated the type def (add or remove a selection) then the instant of the control all the constants linked to the control and cases would be updated.

This does not seem to be the case. I have to delete and reinsert the control, then find every constant in my diagram and delete and reinsert, and It really meses up the cases. I have to remove all the "red" cases and make sure the are no doubles in my cases.

What am I doing wrong here? Type Defs were suppose to make this eaiser?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,338 Views)

They sould and they do!

Please post a zip of a simple VI (along with the type defs) tht you are having trouble with and someone should be able to help out.

Take care,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,334 Views)

Do you have "autoupdate from type definition" checked in the properties? (should be checked by default).

Else can you attach a simple example that shows the problem. What is your LabVIEW version?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,331 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RTSLVU

It sounds like you left the control as a regular "custom control" and did not change it to "typedef".

Or, do you keep the control editor window open when you make a change to the typedef? If so, the change won't propagate until you save and close the control editor or select File->Apply Changes (if you want to keep the control editor window open).

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 04-30-2009 10:04 AM
Message 4 of 11
(3,325 Views)

As Christian already stated, typedefs should autoupdate. But sometimes, this is not possible. If so, LV marks the "not updated instances" as grayed out. You could right click on them and select "update from type def".

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,321 Views)

Norbert wrote "But sometimes, this is not possible."

So now that you brought that up....

I have never encountered such a situation. Can you give us an example of when it is not possible?

Curious,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,315 Views)

Here is the type def in question and a simple vi.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,314 Views)

and the winner is....

Saverio

See his post above. You aren't saving it as a type def.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,309 Views)

Ben wrote:

Norbert wrote "But sometimes, this is not possible."

So now that you brought that up....

I have never encountered such a situation. Can you give us an example of when it is not possible?

Curious,

Ben

E.g the situation Saverio descibed 🙂 That means, if the type def itself is still open and not saved after a change (sometimes happens to me when working with enums).......

Norbert 

[EDIT] But you are correct in a way that "update from type def" is still grayed out...... 

Message Edited by Norbert B on 04-30-2009 10:15 AM
Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,301 Views)

How about constants?  How do you make a constants that updates with typedefs? 

I have a typedefs cluster which contains components, when I update it all the typedefs in the project update (as expected) but the constants do not.

-Regards

eximo

"I had rather be right than be president" -Henry Clay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,264 Views)