LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The value of the property 'find object' is null or undefined, not a Function object

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I am a newbie, busy with LabView evaluation, so I am on chapter 2 of the "Getting Started" document on the 2010 front panel. That means I am trying to follow a self-teach program, to generate the second VI in the tutorial.

I received a scripting error as mentioned in the title of this post, I attach a screen shot. Running the script after the error, understandably results in no action.

This is my second posting along this voyage of discovery. I mention this because MAYBE my previous problems are related. During installation, there were internal errors, 2203, relating to various files, I have added that screen shot for info. There was also an Updater failure, screen shot also attached. I posted these two errors and thanks to a Reader, learned that the installer error was a known situation, there was a link to follow. I followed the link, the Installer was fixed and I loaded the LabView patch. After that, all seemed fine, I generated the first VI in the tutorial OK. So all seems OK as regards the LabView core - or is it?

With this scripting problem. I don't know if this is a help file bug or if this is due to some incompatibility, software or OS issue. I am wondering if my LabView installation is damaged or not and if so, the best approach to follow to remedy the problem.

I am running 64 bit Windows 7 on a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop.

Any suggestions anyone please? Suggestions gratefully accepted.

Message 1 of 6
(7,551 Views)

Hey alexsch,

It seems like Express VI referenced from the Help File was not installed on your computer.  These VI's are included with the base LabVIEW package so it is possible that its an issue with installation.  You can repair your installation by going to Programs and Features in the control panel and double clicking on National Instruments Software.  You can then select which produducts you would like to repair.  Are you able to acess the VI through the pallette directly?  You can do this by right clicking the block diagram to bring up the functions pallette and navigated to Express->SigManip and clicking on the Signal Compression VI.  If you can place the block from the functions pallette but not the help file then it is probably something wrong with the linking between the help file and the VI itself. Try these things to start and if you need any more help please post back on this forum.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,510 Views)

Hi Kevin, thanks for the suggestions, but I am afraid I still have a problem.

I can access the VIs from the base package OK, so it is the links in the help files that are damaged in some way. I tried the repair option via the control panel as suggested, and then I saw the similar installation errors I originally had, screen shots attached. So I tried reinstall a second time, less errors this time but different files being reported except the file for the first error. Similar problems as I originally had, when I tried several uninstall/reinstall cycles and before I fixed the Updater.

The installation seems to work as far as I can tell, but of course it is large and I am only exercising a part of it at this time, I worked through chapter 3 of getting started. I ran the Updater again and it reports that there are no updates, so the patch I ran via the Updater previously was not affected by the repair attempt.

I see another symptom. The "LabVIEW Help" link on the bottom right of the Getting Started front page (i.e. the Help section) does nothing when clicked.

The repair function seems to use the downloaded image I have, maybe that is damaged? I am wary of trying to download again, so let me first hear if there is something else that you might like to suggest to try. Thanks for the help.

Regards, Alex

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,502 Views)

Hey alexsch,

The patch you installed before took care of the updater problem but I think you have some different problems with the intallation.  The following article shows some common causes of this particular installation error: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/501078082121650986256BCF0057DC4D?OpenDocument .  The most common cause of that is a lack of administrator priviledges on the computer you are installing on.  I see from a previous post that you have already attempted running as an administrator so this may be a different issue.  Where did you get your trial version of LabVIEW from?  Are you running the 64 bit version or the 32 bit version?  I would try the steps listed in that document and if none of those work I would try to re-download the trial version from the National Instruments Website: https://lumen.ni.com/nicif/us/evallv/content.xhtml  and install again.  If that doesnt work post back and we can keep working on this issue. 

Kevin Fort
NI
Message 4 of 6
(7,494 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alexsch

Hi Kevin, thanks for your help.

In summary all is well, it was a Administrator permissions issue after all (despite my perceptions to the contrary). I explain more below with some screen shots, in case others strike the same problem.

FYI the 64 bit LV 2010 I have, I downloaded from the NI web site. The installation reports that there are no drivers, I guess I will need to install those via a separate download in due course?

Just one question before the error resolution detail below, will test VIs that I generate in this evaluation version be available to me when I upgrade to a purchased version, or will I have to re-do them?

OK, as regards Administrator rights. So when is an Administrator NOT really an Administrator?

Although I am the Administrator on this (work) PC, I used to have a restricted account that was opened up for me by our IT guy recently. Despite this expansion of rights, I had to (as a new administrator) to grant myself as User, additional admin rights on the User account. "Full Control". I also had to add admin rights to the 2010 file itself as explained in your "2203" article. (See screen shots.)

So - I originally thought I had full admin rights but I still needed to "tweak" the rights on my account, on the 2010 file itself AND run as Administrator, making sure no other program was running. I had to uninstall the older installation, since the change to Admin rights did NOT do the trick on its own, I still got a 2203 error at about 70% through the installation while trying these various chages. So I had to to start from scratch, the Updater ran correctly to install the 2010 patch and there were no errors, so maybe admin rights originally affected that app too when I installed the very first time?

Anyway the admin update, then uninstall and then reinstall did the trick! Now the Help link on the bottom right of the front LV application page runs and the "Open example" and "Find related examples" buttons inside the Detailed Help window, run as advertised without any scripting errors.

I hope this helps others too and thanks again.

Regards, Alex

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,485 Views)

Alex,

You can find the device drivers here: http://www.ni.com/drivers/.  Any VI's you create in the trial version will be available to you when you upgrage.  There is no difference between the trial software and the actual software once it is activated.

I am glad you got your installation working properly. Hope you have a great day!

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,467 Views)