LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Drop Shortcut Plugins for creating local variable

Hi there,

I just found the quick drop plugin functionality of Labview 2011 (I had 8.6.1 before).  I found that a shortcut (default CTRL-D) allows me to create controls or constants.  I have always wanted a way of creating local variables for one or more controls and this looks like the way to go.  I had a look at the plugin VIs, but couldn't find a way to make it create local variables instead of constants.  How can I do this, or are there plugin VIs I can download to do this?

Best Regards,

Christie

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,309 Views)

Hi Christie,

just one thought came to my mind: When you need local variables that often you are doing something wrong... Smiley Wink

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(4,298 Views)

Hi GerdW,

(Tongue in cheek) I don't like terminals!  Whenever I need to copy a piece of code, terminals get duplicated.  I move all my terminals off to the right of the diagram of my main VI, except for booleans that are used in event structures.  Whenever I need to show a hidden control, I know where to find the terminal... sort of.

Well I guess I don't use them much in subVIs, but in front end VIs it would really help a lot if it was easier to create local variables for the 20 configuration input controls or sensor display indicators I've just created.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,289 Views)

Christie,

You can use my Commands for "Create" Menu Options shortcut that I posted on the Quick Drop Enthusiasts group to be able to bulk-create local variables from control/indicator terminals on the diagram.

Message 4 of 6
(4,284 Views)

@Christie wrote:

Hi GerdW,

(Tongue in cheek) I don't like terminals!  Whenever I need to copy a piece of code, terminals get duplicated.  I move all my terminals off to the right of the diagram of my main VI, except for booleans that are used in event structures.  Whenever I need to show a hidden control, I know where to find the terminal... sort of.

Well I guess I don't use them much in subVIs, but in front end VIs it would really help a lot if it was easier to create local variables for the 20 configuration input controls or sensor display indicators I've just created.

Cheers

Control click drag will copy without copying the terminal Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
(4,274 Views)

Darren,

Thanks for that.  It sounds like what I need.  I'll be sure to try it Monday.

GerdW,

I was not aware of this... I was sure that when I did CTRL-drag it copied the terminal too.  (Maybe because I've been using 8.6.1 until yesterday.)  I assume it will then just leave the wire disconnected?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,268 Views)