From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The source file's compiled code has been separated... when referencing a VI tat is input from a path control

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a feeling I know this answer.

I have an executable that takes a VI from the path control and the executable reads some properties.  It crashes with that error.

Some background on the issue:

The executable waits on the path control to change its value, then it reads the properties.  It waits just fine.

Running the source code works fine.

The VI that is being read does have the code separated.

So I'm thinking that this is no different than calling a VI dynamically because it has to load the VI into memory to read its properties, and that can't be done if the code is separated.  I guess you have to uncheck the "Separate compiled code..." option for each VI (and subVI) that I am loading and recompile them all and then that should work?

Thanks!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,416 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author billko

Let's try to clarify something here.  You have an EXE (running in the RTE) and it is trying to call a VI that is not included in the EXE and do whatever with it?  If that is the case, then that VI that is being called should NOT be set to separate from compiled.  The reason being that the RTE does not do any compiling.  So trying to do something to a VI that doesn't have compiled code is impossible.

In the development environment, the compiled code for that VI should be in the object cache.  Therefore the separate from compiled doesn't matter.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(2,394 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Let's try to clarify something here.  You have an EXE (running in the RTE) and it is trying to call a VI that is not included in the EXE and do whatever with it?  If that is the case, then that VI that is being called should NOT be set to separate from compiled.  The reason being that the RTE does not do any compiling.  So trying to do something to a VI that doesn't have compiled code is impossible.

In the development environment, the compiled code for that VI should be in the object cache.  Therefore the separate from compiled doesn't matter.

That's exactly what I thought.  Thank you for confirming this.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,378 Views)