From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for Existing!

Solved!
Go to solution

I used LabView for the first time 3 months ago. I came from a C++ background so I had the programing concepts but was often confused by the new environment. The community here was both an excelent resource, and often had me uncontrollably laughing loud enough to distract my coworkers!  Smiley Very Happy   (See the LV proverbes Here, and most recently Here. That thread still makes me laugh Smiley Happy)

I don't know if I'll be able to use LV in the future, but I hope I can. It's pretty neat! I kudoed Altenbach's post on a hobby license, but I guess I can only cross my fingers and wait. Smiley Sad

So in short, thanks kudos for existing!

Andrew

PS  I need a better avatar...

Message 1 of 15
(3,543 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author awood04

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11225

Arduino + LabVIEW bundle for $50US.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 2 of 15
(3,538 Views)

WOOO! I don't need the arduino but I'll take the CD!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,532 Views)

@awood04 wrote:

WOOO! I don't need the arduino [...]

That's what I thought, until I got the arduino.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 4 of 15
(3,498 Views)

I see that you're already started helping people, which is certainly a good step. I can say that the act of answering other people's question seemed to help me gain confidence in my own knowledge and being involved help me learn a lot.

@awood04 wrote:

I don't know if I'll be able to use LV in the future, but I hope I can. It's pretty neat! I kudoed Altenbach's post on a hobby license, but I guess I can only cross my fingers and wait. Smiley Sad

Are you a student?

As long as you are a student, LabVIEW is free. You can get a free license here for 6 months and renew it perpetually as long as you remain a student.

Message 6 of 15
(3,459 Views)

Do me a favor and go post this on stack overflow Smiley Very Happy

@awood04 wrote:

I used LabView for the first time 3 months ago. I came from a C++ background....

...I don't know if I'll be able to use LV in the future, but I hope I can. It's pretty neat! 

Message 7 of 15
(3,456 Views)

Yes, I'm studying for my BSE in Electrical Engineering at the University of Michigan. I knew about the student edition, but I only have a year remaining.

@GregFreeman wrote:

Do me a favor and go post this on stack overflow Smiley Very Happy

@awood04 wrote:

I used LabView for the first time 3 months ago. I came from a C++ background....

...I don't know if I'll be able to use LV in the future, but I hope I can. It's pretty neat! 

Ha, no thanks. I'll leave that to someone braver.  I'll admit that LV has some real downsides (constently connectiong lines with the mouse, LV crashing, etc.), but I think it's really cool how much code you can see and understand at once (assuming it's not spaghetti).

EDIT: Oh, and I enjoy helping people out when I can. That's been just as valuable to me as classes have been.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,431 Views)

@awood04 wrote:

Ha, no thanks. I'll leave that to someone braver.  I'll admit that LV has some real downsides (constently connectiong lines with the mouse, LV crashing, etc.), but I think it's really cool how much code you can see and understand at once (assuming it's not spaghetti).

EDIT: Oh, and I enjoy helping people out when I can. That's been just as valuable to me as classes have been.

I'll admit text based programming has some downsides: Like constantly typing with a keyboard Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,422 Views)

@GregFreeman wrote:

I'll admit text based programming has some downsides: Like constantly typing with a keyboard Smiley Very Happy

Man, I wish I could program LabVIEW with the keyboard even more than I already do. It's the most precise input device we have today.

As far as the tedium of wiring, the Ctrl-W shortcut in Quick Drop helps out a lot with that. It's shipping with LabVIEW 2014, and a prototype is available for 2012 and 2013 here.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,412 Views)