From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtract the mean of a matrix from each element

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am doing principle component analysis I have an original real matrix feeding in to a the covarience matrix which gives the mean out at one of the nodes and want to subtract that from each element of the original matrix to form a new matrix. If this is to hard to connect the mean out of the covariance matrix is there a way of just finding the mean of the original matrix and subtracting this from each element in the matrix to form a new matrix.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Canalian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,449 Views)

The Subtract primitive on the Numeric palette is polymorphic.  You can subtract a scalar from a matrix or an array.  The result is also a matrix or an array with the scalar value subtracted from each element.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,437 Views)

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for your quick reply. I must have been tired last night I realised that the problem is that I have a 1d matrix comming out of the covariance matrix and I am trying to subtract that from a each element of a 2d matrix, but I don know how to do this. I have attached the code of what I am trying showin the broken wire.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,425 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Canalian

The mean of a 2D array is simply the sum of all elements divided by the number of elements (=the product of the dimensions).

All you need is the following (works equally well for arrays with more than 2 dimensions):

Message 4 of 5
(3,420 Views)

Thanks that is really appreciated

Regards

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,413 Views)