LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure lock: BOF bit 23

If you turn on bit 23 of the Basic Object Flags for a loop, case structure, or a disable structure, it shows a little glyph in the upper right corner and the contents of the structure become locked. (Is that glyph supposed to look like a lock?)

case2.png

Interestingly, if you save it as a snippet, the lock goes away.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,817 Views)

First I heard of this.

What are "Basic Object Flags"?  When/where did you first hear about them?  How did you get to turning a bit on an doff for it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,797 Views)

Basic Object Flags are dangerous things.  They are a property (private) of GObjects.

BOF.png

For the most part, the meanings of the bits are unknown (outside NI).

Also, the bit meanings are different for different classes of GObjects, and sometimes those meanings change between versions of LV.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,766 Views)

I have absolutely no idea what this it but I thought the right click menu was pretty funny. The bottom two options are right-click shortcuts so you would only see the top two by default.

wizard.png

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,760 Views)

I only get 3 items on the context menu:

Clipboard.png

I don't get "Get Object Class".  What happens when you click on it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,747 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what this it but I thought the right click menu was pretty funny. The bottom two options are right-click shortcuts so you would only see the top two by default.

wizard.png

Those may be related the way-old DSC Wizard that would generate block diagram code associated with a FP object. It was used before "Binding" was available. The block diagrams of VIs using those wizardly things would be peppered with indiviual case structures, one for each control.

We recently updated one of those applications. There was so moch repitition involved with the project that part of the re-write was done using a "one time" scripting approach.

So I am guessing it was DSC or maybe even BridgeVIEW.

Edit

It was the DSC Panel Wiazrd

See here for mention of how to invoke it.

Just my 2 cents,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 16
(3,746 Views)

Here's another fun one: Turn on bit 16 of the BOFs for a boolean constant, and it acquires latching action.

latching bool const.png

If you click on it, it will briefly change to T, then immediately return to F.

Message 7 of 16
(3,743 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

I don't get "Get Object Class".  What happens when you click on it?

I made a right-click shortcut that tells me what the class of the item I right-clicked is. I got annoyed at getting the class slightly (or more) wrong when scripting. 

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,739 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

wizard.png

Those may be related the way-old DSC Wizard that would generate block diagram code associated with a FP object. It was used before "Binding" was available. The block diagrams of VIs using those wizardly things would be peppered with indiviual case structures, one for each control.

We recently updated one of those applications. There was so moch repitition involved with the project that part of the re-write was done using a "one time" scripting approach.

So I am guessing it was DSC or maybe even BridgeVIEW.

Edit

It was the DSC Panel Wiazrd

See here for mention of how to invoke it.

Just my 2 cents,

Ben

I do remember a wizard associated with DSC when I first started with LabVIEW.  It was in LV 7.1.  We had that version about a month or so before LV8 came out.  I think it went away then, and I didn't have it long enough to get to use it to be able to miss it.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,734 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Here's another fun one: Turn on bit 16 of the BOFs for a boolean constant, and it acquires latching action.

latching bool const.png

If you click on it, it will briefly change to T, then immediately return to F.

Remind me to never take on a fixed price update project for any of YOUR code Paul.

That would drive me nuts few a few minutes before I was on the phone to 1-800-Domyjob and then pitty poor NI Support engineer that picks up the phone that day!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,733 Views)