From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

String match failing to match string

Hello, I am trying to match a string from the serial output from a capacitive sensor, that would come in the form of the following:

1.505949 pF 23.47 deg.C
1.503296 pF 23.54 deg.C
1.500016 pF 23.48 deg.C
1.498763 pF 23.46 deg.C
1.497160 pF 23.50 deg.C

and so on, essentially a ones digit and six digits after the decimal point. I have the regular expression ([0-9]\.[0-9]{6}) I am trying to match with this, using code I have adapted from a temperature graph readout, however it continues to return -1 and not detect this regex in my output stream. Why is it that this is happening? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,143 Views)

VI attached, it was dropped from my original post

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,141 Views)

Match Pattern has limited regex ability.  Try using Match Regular Expression

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,136 Views)

I notice you are using "Bytes at Port" and that's usually not a good idea.

Watch this video: VIWeek 2020/Proper way to communicate over serial

Also try this for parsing your string

sacnCapture.PNG

EDIT: Fixed output1 display format so it was not rounding 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 4 of 8
(1,104 Views)

The exact problem you have is that the {6} part looking for 6 matching characters in a row isn't supported by "Match pattern".  You could use "[0-9]\.[0-9]+" instead which searches for any number of digits after the decimal instead of always 6.

However just in general this seems too specific.  Are you 100% certain that you will never get back a reply with either a negative number or one that has 2 or more digits before the decimal?  It's much better to just scan for "a number" if you are going to convert it to a number later.  Basically doing what RTSLVU suggests.

If for some reason you do require the exact string and a numeric equivalent won't do, you either need to switch to a working pattern such as the example I gave, or the Match Regular Expression node as mentioned by a previous reply.

Message 5 of 8
(1,079 Views)

And you might want "%6iF..." to get six significant digits in scIentific notation just in case you see some microfarads instead of picofarads.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,035 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

And you might want "%6iF..." to get six significant digits in scIentific notation just in case you see some microfarads instead of picofarads.

That is not a valid conversion code.

If you want to include the "pico" part to read the value in whole F units, there cannot be any space between the number and the p. After eliminating the space in some other way,  you could use %pf as scan format to get ~1.5e-12 for the first number.

altenbach_0-1659807748265.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,019 Views)

That's what I get for not having my lapheater booted up!

Obviously I would call Output 1 Farads and display in SI units e.g. 1.23456p or 21.0987u

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,011 Views)