From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second-hand myRIO Labview Community compatibility

Hello,

I am looking to buy a myRIO for hobby project (autonomous RC car, robotics etc) so non-commercial purpose.

The price is quite expensive to buy it new, so I looked for second-hand hardware which I found.

Unfortunately, the seller just have the myRIO and some cable, there is no CD with it and so no licence number.

Is LabVIEW community compatible with the myRIO ? I will probably want to use RT and FPGA functions which I understood are not included in the LabVIEW community edition.

If I want to use a myRIO for personal project / association project as a non-student, is it compatible (in the case I want to buy it new) ?

Thanks,

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(933 Views)

@simon-emarre wrote:

Hello,

I am looking to buy a myRIO for hobby project (autonomous RC car, robotics etc) so non-commercial purpose.

The price is quite expensive to buy it new, so I looked for second-hand hardware which I found.

Unfortunately, the seller just have the myRIO and some cable, there is no CD with it and so no licence number.

Is LabVIEW community compatible with the myRIO ? I will probably want to use RT and FPGA functions which I understood are not included in the LabVIEW community edition.

If I want to use a myRIO for personal project / association project as a non-student, is it compatible (in the case I want to buy it new) ?

Thanks,

Simon

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019Ms7SAE&l=en-US

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(887 Views)

The myRIO is, indeed, a wonderful device for students, particularly because (with an Academic LabVIEW license) they should have access to the myRIO Software Toolkit.  Note that the Toolkit is necessary to take full advantage of the myRIO, and not all versions of the Toolkit are available (the Toolkit for LabVIEW 2020 was never released, and the LabVIEW 2021 Toolkit was released about two weeks ago).  You will (probably) need the Toolkit to install/upgrade the myRIO firmware and take advantage of the "learning tools" that give you access to the power of the myRIO.

Alternatively, you might have better luck finding a Hardware/Software "match" with LabVIEW CE with one of NI's Single Board RIOs (sbRIO) -- some of them appear to have similar capabilities with the myRIO, but without the nice case nor the Academic price.  But I have no idea if any are available on the used/surplus market ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(860 Views)

The LabVIEW Community Edition is technically similar to the Professional version plus Linx. Linx includes minimal support for the Realtime project framework to allow integrating Raspberry Pis and BeagleBone Blacks as remote targets but not the full Realtime Module. As such you really need the myRIO license, the Community Edition won’t let you use the Realtime Module in a way needed for the myRIO. And the FPGA support is anyhow in no way part of the Community Edition and while you can use the myRIO without customizing the FPGA personality, it’s a shame to not use that option.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(833 Views)