LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Block Diagram "Find" behavior

Solved!
Go to solution

The attached JPG shows two circled instances of a VI labeled "AO ONE PT"  which is AO Update Channel.vi.  In total there are known to be 11 instances in this VI.  The bottom half of the picture shows the "Find" window.

If I select the left instance and run Find, I find only that one instance - none of the others.  If I select the right instance and run Find, it finds 10 instances but not the left one.

Personally, I think this is rather strange.  I have confirmed this behavior in both LabVIEW 2010 and LabVIEW 2011 on a computer running WinXP SP3.  I have even rebooted between trials.

The primary difference between the two instances is that the left one is outside the main loop.

This is a very complex VI (from my point of view) and belongs to a third-party.  I have not explored whether other objects exhibit this same problem.

Can someone explain this to me?  I rely heavily on the Find tool.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,221 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wildcatherder

The two VIs you circled are not the same - note that they have different icons.  It's been a long time since I used traditional NI-DAQ so I can't tell you what the difference is between them, but it appears to me that the search is working properly.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,214 Views)
Yes, one is AO Update Channels (note the s) if my memory is correct. If you had turned on the actual label (right click show> label), you would have seen the difference.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,197 Views)

I really hope that isn't what your actual block diagram looks like with that horrible black backgrouind color.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,190 Views)

@Ravens Fan wrote:

I really hope that isn't what your actual block diagram looks like with that horrible black backgrouind color.

The image is obviously a negative. Maybe the OP skipped a step when developing it? 😉

I didn't bother inverting it back, but I'm assuming it has the default LV colors. Certainly the blue and orange/yellow/red seem to match what I'd expect.

(2,179 Views)

It did come to me in a dream this weekend that they might not be the same VI.  Unfortunately, they are both labeled (in the icon) as "AO One PT" and the only difference in one squiqqle which is nearly impossible to notice  (still no ZOOM in LabVIEW [I know why and the answer is still not good enough]).  

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and restoring my faith in FIND.  I have no idea how the background color got reversed. It was certainly not my intention.

Apparently AO Update Channel.vi update one channel with one value and AO Update Channels.vi update multiple channels with values from an array.

This was not so easy to figure out because LabVIEW 2010 shows Detailed Help for these VIs - LabVIEW 2011 shows the context help but without the "Detailed Help" link.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,145 Views)