From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Softmotion & Labview RT & System Identification

Hi there

I would like to start a motion control project (AC servo conveyor system) using

LV RT with Fieldpoint
NI Softmotion
LV System Identification

Can someone tell me what is the correct procedure to get the project stared ?

I'm familiar with LV but not the LV RT & Softmotion

There are not many softmotion examples around except the one that comes with the softmotion software itself. And I tried the example from the softmotion ( with modification ), it was not working properly.

Can anyone who is experience in softmotion give a proper steps on how to go about using Softmotion with LV RT & FP or many other RT hardware ?

Than you in advance.

RF328

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,591 Views)

RF328,

Here is a document that may be helpful in getting started with SoftMotion.  It explains the architecture of the FieldPoint examples in the Example Finder:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371331b.pdf

Which FieldPoint modules are you using?  One possibilitiy is that the channels specified in the examples don't match up with the hardware that you are using.  When you ran the examples, did you receive any errors or did it run without moving your motor?

Chris M.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,560 Views)

Hello CMal

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have gone through the Softmotion manual. It helps but not fully helpful.

Is there any better examples or readout on softmotion that I can refer to.

I'm using FP2000 & LV7.1 RT.

Is LV 8 RT has some extra features compared to LV RT7.1 ? If so, I can always opt for LV 8 instead of 7.1

I've searched the web, can't find any good examples on softmotion.

Anyone that has experience in Softmotion please give some general tips.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,545 Views)

RF328,

The FieldPoint SoftMotion example in the Example Finder is the only one that ships with LabVIEW, and I don't believe there are others for use with FieldPoint.  Part of the reason for this is that any other examples would be build around the same structure as this example.  You mentioned that you modified parts of this example for your hardware setup.  Can you explain which parts you modified?  Also, you said that you are using the FP2000 controller, but what modules are you using?  Is your system set up for encoder or analog feedback.

In general, writing code with RT 8.0 or later is no different from RT 7.1.  The main difference is that deployment is much easier with RT in the newer versions of LabVIEW.  It allows you to deploy to multiple hardware targets, develop code that will run on host and target in parallel.

Chris M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Message 4 of 4
(3,520 Views)