LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can I sometimes paste text into a revision history dialog box and other times cannot?

Why can I sometimes paste copied text (from another VI's revision history, for instance or from anywhere else) into a revision history dialog box and other times cannot? All versions of LabVIEW! It's something like the control key becomes diabled. I've noticed the same thing when saving many VI's at once, some will let you paste into revision history and others will not. Aren't all VI's created equally when it comes to revision history? All versions of LabVIEW since 3 have plagued me with this problem.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,288 Views)
> Why can I sometimes paste copied text (from another VI's revision
> history, for instance or from anywhere else) into a revision history
> dialog box and other times cannot? All versions of LabVIEW! It's
> something like the control key becomes diabled. I've noticed the same
> thing when saving many VI's at once, some will let you paste into
> revision history and others will not. Aren't all VI's created equally
> when it comes to revision history? All versions of LabVIEW since 3
> have plagued me with this problem.

You might check to see if it is related to runmode or password
protection/locking. If it seems like a bug, you might want to file a
report.

Greg McKaskle
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,285 Views)
This problem has been reported to R&D, and they are working to fix the problem for future releases of LabVIEW. Right now there are no workarounds or fixes.

Jeremy Braden
NI
Message 3 of 10
(3,284 Views)
I can never copy/paste into the revision history dialog box. ctrl+v just outputs 'v' and there is no right-click menu. Is this the same bug? This goes for ALL VIs ALWAYS. confirmed on one other machine.

LV8.2
WinXP
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,129 Views)
Hello,

If you'd like to add text to the revision history of a VI, you can paste into the Comment box and add all of your text at once.  The history itself can be read from this window, but cannot be directly edited.  The History field is read-only in the dialog box.  If you feel this should not be the case, your best course of action is to express your desire for added functionality to our developers on the Product Feedback page of our website.

Message Edited by MattP on 12-19-2006 12:04 PM

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,108 Views)
Thanks for your reply. However, I can't copy or paste from the 'Comment'-box of the VI history revision dialog (the one that opens with ctrl+Y). ctrl+v, ctrl+c doesn't work an there is no right-click menu for this. Its the same on my co-workers machine, both Lv8.2, winXP. And the history should be kept read-only, like it is, of course.

Message Edited by thols on 12-20-2006 01:13 AM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,097 Views)

I can confirm this on my machine also. I'm using LV 8.2

I cannot copy and paste into the comment box.

This should be filed as a bug.

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,085 Views)
Thanks for confirming! I just e-mailed NI about this and will let you know if I hear from them.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,074 Views)
This was reported to R&D (# 35PG6AX7) for further investigation.  I discovered the reason why I did not see the behavior on my test machine - this issue does not occur if you access the dialog box by the File»VI Properties»Revision History route.  I would recommend this as a viable workaround while the issue is investigated, as I am able to copy and paste without any difficulty via this route.
Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,058 Views)
Thanks for the quick reply and the workaround. Don't know why I didn't try that.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,046 Views)