From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Excel Column Header for Continuous Data Reading

Solved!
Go to solution

I have been having trouble getting only one header to appear above the excel columns that are being created from my VI. I think the problem is because I am using the running the VI continuously. I need to have it run continuously to keep receiving data. Any help would be greatly appreciated for this new user.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,024 Views)

The program does exactly what you tell it do do:

• Write a header, appending to the existing fie
  • write data, appending to the existing file

None of your while loops serve any function. Why are they there? (They are just glorified sequence frames the way you use them!)

"Run continuously" is a debugging tool, not a way to run a VI, so don't use that. (It just means that the VI restarts from scratch whenever it completes.) Your "submit button will only have an effect if you do it before the 20ms timeout of the event structure. Is this a reaction game? 😮

I would recommend to start with some basic LabVIEW tutorials. All you need is a simple state machine.

Message 2 of 6
(3,004 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hilty

I was able to get what I needed. I am no longer running continuouly from the application, that's what the while loop is for! Thanks for the other tips! I'll post my solution if anybody cares to read it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,992 Views)

You should adjust the logging interval using the timeout value of the event structure, not with a seperate wait.

This is still totally gummed up. If you use a 60 seconds wait (for example) it will take that long until the event structure is ready to fire again. During that time, numerous value change events for the submit button could get potentially queued up.

I still don't understand the "Submit" functionality. How often is this used? It seems to clear the string control. What else? If you would use a latch action button, you would not need to reset it via a local variable. If you want to maintian the regular time intervals for the timeout. you can do that with a little code.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,983 Views)

I was just using the "Submit" function to enter any notes during a particular event. i.e. temperature spike or loss of pressure. Most of the time the note section would just be blank.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,965 Views)

@Hilty wrote:

I was just using the "Submit" function to enter any notes during a particular event. i.e. temperature spike or loss of pressure. Most of the time the note section would just be blank.

You read and understood all my concerns, right? They still apply, even after your explanation.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,955 Views)