From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting the sample rate

Hi

I am using LabVIEW 8.5.1 with a PXI 6221, I am wanting to use labview to generate a sine wave of 10KHz with a peak to peak voltage of 15V. I am a little confused as to how I should set up my sine wave to achieve this. What samples per second and the number of samples should I use and should this be set to automatic.

This is probably more of a signal processing question but my knowledge of this is not the worlds best. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,250 Views)

Chris,

first of all, the sine will not have offset? If it will, it is possible that you cannot use the 6221 to generate the signal since it only supports +-10V in respect to the ground level of the PXI system.

In order to generate an output signal, you have to create a waveform which represents the signal's shape. So you have to gather several datapoints which will shape your signal. For the output, you have to configure a speed for output of each datapoint.

So if you choose to have 10 datatpoints per period of the signal (which is suggested to be the minimum for a proper shape), you will have to configure an output "update rate" of 10 times of the frequency your signal should have. In your case: 100kHz.

If you choose to use 100 datapoints per peroid (improvement of shape information), the factor will increase to 100 times, so you would need a sample rate of 1MHz in order to get a 10kHz signal....

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,241 Views)

Hi

Thanks for your help, I am going to give that a try, I am also thinking that the rate at which the DAQ assistant recieves signlas from the simulated sine wave and sends them out might need to be adjusted. I will play around with it to see what I get.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,236 Views)