properly and can this serial number be linked in some way to the PC ,or
Mac number?

Thanks

Naebad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,963 Views)
Hello Naebad,

One way of doing this would be to get the MAC address of the PC and then carrying out some arithmetic (hidden from the user) to calculate a serial number.

I am attaching a VI that allows you to find the MAC address of a system by specifying its IP address.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Abhishek
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,935 Views)
Was the purpose of the TRUE case to detect the local IP address in case the entry parameter is blank?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,912 Views)
Hello Conseils,

The "True" case is if the user enters 127.0.0.1 or the actual IP address of the host system and not a system over the network. In the case of serial number generation, I guess this would be the only case. So, it would help to wire a constant with the value 127.0.0.1 to the IP address field in the VI.

Regards,

Abhishek
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,891 Views)
Hello Conseils,

Forgot to mention, the VI will return an error if the IP field is left blank. You NEED to input either 127.0.0.1 or the actual IP of the host system to get the MAC of the host.

Regards,

Abhishek
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,892 Views)
I thought as much, (perhaps you might like to post an amended version).

It might also be good to include a detection for Windows as well as these are Windows specific commands that you are using.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,886 Views)
Hello Naebad,

I have attached a modified version of the previous VI that shows you the MAC address for just the host machine. Also, as pointed out by Conseils, this method will work for Windows OSs only. So, I have also included an OS check.

Regards,

Abhishek
Message 7 of 7
(2,880 Views)