LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

See the Future of Graphical Programming Now

The release of LabVIEW 2016 just a few short weeks ago marked the 30-year anniversary of the seminal 1.0 launch of LabVIEW on the Mac. To ultimately improve your productivity in building engineering systems, NI has consistently invested in abstracting low-level programming tasks, exposing leading technologies and compute platforms, maximizing performance and memory management, and of course doing all of this inside of a stable platform. You might think that the features you’ve see over the past few releases, such as Channel Wires, represent the totality of the investment being made in LabVIEW. But, you would be wrong. 

NI also announced the NI Software Technology Preview, a program designed to provide current users of NI software active on a Standard Service Program contract with an early look at conceptual capabilities. Through this program, you can access pre-release software builds, product guides, reference materials, help modules, and discussion forums to help you along the way.

The software builds available today demonstrate investment in these 6 key areas: 

Icon84-LV3-1.png Approachable Automation Icon84-Knowledge-5.png Integrated Learning and Help Content Icon84-Diagnostic-5.png Interactive Data Analysis and Management
Icon84-Upward Trend-5.png Enhanced Productivity for Programing Icon84-Data Viz-5.png

Modern UI Development from the Desktop to the Web

Icon84-Big Data-5.png Server Side Data Analysis and Management

The Next Generation LabVIEW Features for Desktop DAQ and Instrument Control Technology Preview build demonstrates the fruition of these investments in graphical programming specifically. 

LabVIEW FEatures Tech Preview.png1920x1080 BD Option2.png

Visit ni.com/techpreview to sign up and ZOOM into the future of LabVIEW now! (Note: You must have an NI software serial number with an active SSP contract)

Message 1 of 8
(3,550 Views)

I hope the new UI is optional and one can toggle back to a "Legacy" mode, in perpetuity as it would be bad for that to only be in place for a few releases.  I'm used to having about a dozen VIs (of various sizes) open at any given time and don't see how this new UI will accomodate that.  I don't want to switch between tabs, I want to have 8 block diagrams open at the same time and be looking at them all simultaneously.  They'll each have a have a different size.

Message 2 of 8
(3,304 Views)

Yeah, me too.  Whatever it is about my brain wiring, I almost never maximize a single window and almost always have a bunch of overlapping windows open simultaneously.   At the moment, roughly 20.

Please don't force a UI change on us.

-Kevin P

curmudgeon at large, who jokingly says that Windows 98SE was the pinnacle of UI achievement, and secretly *almost* believes it.  XP was the first culprit, giving us soft billowy gui elements and making me feel like a small child who's given crayons so chunky I have to draw with my fist.  (Remainder of rant deleted)

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 3 of 8
(3,257 Views)

Any comments you guys have about the Tech Preview really should be done in the board specifically set up for it.  The people most likely to be able to make the decisions you want will be looking there a lot more than here.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,242 Views)

Thanks! A link to that board in your response would be helpful.  I'll be happy to rant here and there, just point me at it. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,223 Views)

@carlos_camargo wrote:

Thanks! A link to that board in your response would be helpful.  I'll be happy to rant here and there, just point me at it. 🙂

It's linked at the bottom of the original post.

Here it is again anyway: ni.com/techpreview

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,210 Views)

Oh, I thought that was a link to sign up for the preview, I didn't realize it was also a posting board.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,189 Views)

@carlos_camargo wrote:

Oh, I thought that was a link to sign up for the preview, I didn't realize it was also a posting board.

Thanks!

You cannot access that board without a successfull sign up first. After NI accepts your sign up using a valid serial, you will be able to access that forum board.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,176 Views)