LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scary LabVIEW images

Solved!
Go to solution

I was given coe developed by others to fix and support. While cleaning up the error clusters I started to run acroos the "Clear Error" VI used TOO many places so I did a quick serach to see just how extensive and got this.

Scarry.JPG

I am going to have to take a shower when I get home becuase I feel dirty after touching this code.

Please post your scarry images you come across here.

Take care,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1 of 30
(4,750 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben

One way to claim "Bug-Free Code!"  It will never show an error.

Lynn

Message 2 of 30
(4,731 Views)

I was asked to see if I could improve this program...

Needless to say I threw this out and started over from scratch.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Download All
Message 3 of 30
(4,721 Views)

untitled.PNG

Ships in the LabVIEW examples!  (method re-initialize all to default must be super-secret)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 30
(4,711 Views)

I don't have an image of this one program I was asked to help fix but when it was printed out on a large chart plotter (the only way to get a view of what was going on) it covered the entire table in a large conference room. Talk about a nightmare.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 5 of 30
(4,691 Views)

@Ben wrote:

While cleaning up the error clusters I started to run acroos the "Clear Error" VI used TOO many places so I did a quick serach to see just how extensive and got this.

If an error occurs and nobody sees it, did it really happen??? 😄

I am curious if it was just a misguided attempt to silence automatic error handling?

(Many times errors don't matter and an overzealous effort to "catch" all errors can lead serialization of the code and loss in parallel code optimizations.)

Message 6 of 30
(4,671 Views)

Lucky for you there are only eleven!

clear errors.png

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 7 of 30
(4,626 Views)

Ok, now you have my curiousity piqued...  in LV7 code that I took over, I found numerous instances where, in order to test for the existance of a directory or file, the error cluster was used.  In order to preserve dataflow, I added a clear error to each instance of a case structure that had selected the error - is there a preferred alternative?  (The VI probably has 5 or 6 clear errors total).

Michael Tracy

Synergy Microwave

Message 8 of 30
(4,622 Views)

> Needless to say I threw this out and started over from scratch.

Hey, I think your author went to the same programming school as mine - only throw in some big stacked sequences for good measure...   🙂

Michael Tracy

Synergy Microwave

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 30
(4,603 Views)

I have to admit I do use the clear errors.vi but, to enforce specific behavior.

I specifically use it when scanning a string to a type def'd enum where the string was in a configuration file.  I do not want the error handle popping up when some dratted user typoed the file when I can't find what system state got me there  The scan from string function allows me to define a default value that I can use in my code to trap the bad value.  (Its why most of my AE's have a "Null"<Default> method Smiley Wink. they do not ALLWAYS have null code - sometimes they have debug tracing utilities)  Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

I'm assuming that was NOT the case with Ben's example and that it did indicate a horror.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 30
(4,594 Views)