From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving an XY graph

Solved!
Go to solution

This is something I haven't done before in LabVIEW, though it seems like it should be pretty simple... I am just not quite sure where to start.

I am used to saving my data as text files using the write to measurement file express.vi and the write to spreadsheet.vi, but now I have an XY graph that I want to save.  What is the name of the .vi I use to do this and what kind of options do I have for file format and such, do I just save it as a .jpeg or some other image file, or is there a .vi that will save both the image and the data? 

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,692 Views)

Hi Lars,

maybe you should tell us, what you really want to save into a file!

I guess you only need to save the data. As the XY graph is composed of (atleast) 2 arrays you simple need to save those two arrays in the same way as you did before. I would suggest using WriteToSpreadsheetFile to save a 2D array...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,691 Views)

I plan on saving the data as well, but I really would like to save the graph as an image file so that the tech who will be running this test does not have to go back and re-create it.  The test is for a calibration certificate, so I will need both, and would like to make the life of the cal-tech easier if I can.

I attached an image of the block diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,682 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LarsUlrich

LarsUlrich,

It sounds from the format options you mentioned you would like to save a picture.

1. Right click on your graph on the BD.

2. Select "Create>Invoke Node>Get Image

3. Wire the newly created Invoke Node to "Write to PNG" sub-vi (found under "Graphics & Sound>Graphics Format" in Functions Palette)

-Chazzzmd

Message 4 of 8
(8,680 Views)

Thanks Chaz, that was exactly what I needed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(8,675 Views)

Hello there!

Thanks for the advice - this is exactly the problem that I am currently having. Unfortunately, when I right-click my x-y chart, the ' create' menu does not seem to have an 'invike node' option. I am currently running LabVIEW 2011 - do you think that might be the cause?

Regards,

Euan

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,514 Views)

Hi Euan,

yes, it has. Right-click the terminal in the block diagram -> create -> invoke node -> ...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(8,512 Views)

Ah!

Thanks very much for your response GerdW - I couldn't see it on my block diagram, but when I right-click on the chart in the front panel it gives me the option to invoke node.

Many thanks!

Euan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(8,510 Views)