From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM meta data not defined

Server returning error 1 - meta data not defined

It is not clear to me how to define the meta data used in STM.  I have created an array of clusters that contain a string.  I have named the clusters.  The STM VIs returns an error concerning the meta data not being defined (Figure 1).  Figure 2 shows the server code that generates the error and figure 3 show the client code.  To start, I am trying to pass a simple string but I would like to pass arrays of data once this is working.

Client and server both running LabVIEW 2012 (32-bit) version on Windows 7.

STM package:  stm_1.0.32.zip (not sure this is correct version.  Example programs use VIs with different names.  Unable to run examples because I don't have the VIs used in the examples.)

Application:  Stream data from embedded PC to UI using ethernet connection.

White Papers: LabView Simple Messaging Reference Library (STM)

Command-based Communication Using Simple TCP/IP Messaging

Client Error

Figure 1 - Error

Server Diagram

Figure 2 - Server Diagram

Client Diagram

Figure 3 - Client Diagram

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,551 Views)

That is a pretty old version.  Download the latest version (2.0.2.1).  The can be found here:http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/2739.  If you use VI Package Manager, use the VIP file.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,545 Views)

Have you double checked to make sure that you do in fact have a TCP connection established (ie, your TCP listen block is not timing out and passing on an error)?  

I would also recommend upgrading to the newest version of the STM pallette.  

James K.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,519 Views)

I was able to load the latest version of STM onto my machine.  I am now clear on how the Meta data works.  I will continue on.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,513 Views)

Just so you know, there's a board specifically for the STM.  That would be a good place to ask for improvements or better clarifications.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Components/Simple-TCP-Messaging-STM/td-p/583438

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,511 Views)