From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCPI command check

Solved!
Go to solution

Vijay, most of us don't just upgrade to the latest LV version for work reasons, you can assume that majority of the audience have at least LV2016 installed, if you share any VI in the latest version, they CANNOT open it.

I would recommend saving the VI in 2016 so that a larger audience can open and provide feedback.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(877 Views)

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am attaching my LV code of earlier version, could you please check and let me know your valuable suggestions on my code. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Vijay

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(854 Views)

Your implementation should be functional (implementation is simple enough for any VISA based read/write), the actual loop implementation could have been made efficient by using an event structure so that you don't perform read/write operations too frequently (some devices do not like that and may not keep up with providing replies).

Were you able to establish communication using Interactive VISA control? - https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370131S-01/ni-visa/interactivecontrolvisa/

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(842 Views)

Hi,

Yes with the help of "NI MAX2" and "Interactive VISA control" trying to establish a communication between Gaussmeter and PC. I am concerning about the code. Could you please check code, will it be possible to read data continuously with SCPI command via RS232 with my code. 

Thanks 

Vijay

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(813 Views)

Hi,

Yes with the help of "NI MAX" and "Interactive VISA control" trying to establish a communication between Gaussmeter and PC. I am concerning about the code. Could you please check code, will it be possible to read data continuously with SCPI command via RS232 with my code. 

Thanks 

Vijay

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(812 Views)

Hi,

I am trying to establish a communication between gaussmeter and pc with RS232. I have installed the RS232 driver information (CD) on my PC. When I opened the NI max, its not detecting the device just its showing something has connecting but not the exact device. I have done NI troubleshoot for your reference I am attaching the figures. Could anyone please assist me regarding the NI MAX.

Thanks & Regards

Vijay

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(813 Views)

Hi vijay,

there is a "COM3" serial port shown in your MAX screenshot: this is all you need for your RS232 communication!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(804 Views)

Hi Vijay,

Looks like you opted to duplicate the topic on another board.

Anyway, RS232 shows up as COM port - that is good, beyond that, typically VISA tries *IDN? query to detect the instrument looks like the instrument did not respond back to that command.

Have you verified that the RS232 cabling or convertor you use is functional? Does your device come with any software to test with?

I would suspect that the TX and RX might have been swapped.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(802 Views)

An instrument MUST BE IEEE488.2 compliant for NI-MAX to identify it.

Because NI-MAX uses the IEEE 488.2 common command #IDN? to identify instruments.

So your device will probably not show up anything but a Com port.

You can give your instrument a VISA Alias to make it "show up" as something you recognize  in NI-Max and the VISA resource drop downs in LabVIEW

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(798 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

Thank you so much for your reply, I was trying to communicate directly with RS232 cable (Gaussmeter to PC). Since, I have read the Gaussmeter IGM11 manual, I got to know that I have to use Null modem cable for direction communication to computer. Actually, I was trying to communicate directly with RS232 cable without using Null modem cable. Does it the reason for not detecting the device. 

"Could you please let me know do I need to use Null modem cable+RS232 cable"?

Yes, the device come up with software to test with Ethernet and US. It works and getting connected with those interface. I am concern about RS-232 cable since I have to send SCPI commands to read continuous data from the Gaussmeter so that's why I preferred to use VISA.

Could you please let me know your response. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks 

Vijay

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 26
(714 Views)