From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resize Array of Clusters

Solved!
Go to solution

Good to know! It isn't intuitive to me why this is only available from the front panel, but we have already established that I shouldn't trust my intuition regarding LabVIEW 🙂

Thanks for your help and for the additional tips.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(1,050 Views)

Hi octopod,

@octopod wrote:

It isn't intuitive to me why this is only available from the front panel,

Because:

• on the frontpanel you can actually see/edit the data in the array
  • on the blockdiagram you only have the terminal, which is "just" a datasource (for a control) in DATAFLOW thinking…
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(1,048 Views)

For future frustrated novices, the relevant context menu is accessible from the front panel by right clicking the border of the array element, the highlighted region of the attached image. A right click inside or outside the highlighted border will bring up the context menu for the whole array.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(1,044 Views)

@octopod wrote:

For future frustrated novices, the relevant context menu is accessible from the front panel by right clicking the border of the array element, the highlighted region of the attached image. A right click inside or outside the highlighted border will bring up the context menu for the whole array.

Note that this context menu is not for the array, it is for the array control or indicator. If, for instance, a control has already been read and then is changed the array that is being used in the program does not change until the program returns to read that control on the next iteration. Using local variables is tricky because you don't know when they will be read. I mention all of this because it is tempting to think of the control/indicator as the variable in LabVIEW, leading to the misuse of local variables and the potential for lots of race conditions. 

Message 14 of 15
(1,031 Views)

@octopod wrote:

Thanks! I'll admit I'm confused that we measure the length of an array with the "Array Size" node, but can't view or edit the length from the "Size" properties tab. Is 'size' length or is it dimensions?

Eh... 🙄

It says "Dimension(s)" right there in the properties tab...

Although the text isn't always clear, in this case it is the number of dimensions.

Dimensions.PNG

Message 15 of 15
(1,022 Views)