Solved!
Go to solution

altenbach ... Sweet Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23
(892 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@Joe_Le wrote:

I really would appreciate some guidance at this point, I have the mathscript solution working and would really like to know the "labview solution".

As you will see, a LabVIEW solution will be significantly simpler. The most important part would be to learn about shift registers. These are one of the core tools. 😄

Here's a very rough 2 minute draft. Modify as needed. Of course you would substitute your real array and use array size to get the size. See how far you get. 😉

You basically handed it to him on a silver platter. How far does he really have to go with it?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23
(878 Views)

@nyc_(is_out_of_here) wrote:
You basically handed it to him on a silver platter. How far does he really have to go with it? 

Well, he wrote the entire mathscript version. 😄 This now should convince him to adapt a pure G solution for everything else, having a bit of a running start. Sometimes a nudge in the right direction is useful, there's plenty more to do after that. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23
(870 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Well, he wrote the entire mathscript version. 😄 This now should convince him to adapt a pure G solution for everything else, having a bit of a running start. Sometimes a nudge in the right direction is useful, there's plenty more to do after that. 😉

I am sure there is plenty to do in his project after this. It is not so matter of him prefering Mathscript as him no knowing about to how to even program in LabVIEW.

I am not convinced your giving him the completed VI going to help him that much in his learning how to program in LabVIEW.

If it takes him days to solve his simple problem, then that is fine. He'll learn more by doing than by receiving.

We will have to disagree on this.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(838 Views)

I do appreciate seeing the solution as I can now begin to make sense of it and it has definitely helped me in understanding Labview and the way its implemented.

It is only part of the problem and I do like spending time finding a solution, sometimes a little direction can also be very beneficial.

I'm not fully adept at the "way" one can do things in labview, perhaps examples showing both code and Labview could be beneficial for an easier transition for some people.

Thanks for all the help to-date !

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23
(824 Views)

@Joe_leen wrote:

I do appreciate seeing the solution as I can now begin to make sense of it and it has definitely helped me in understanding Labview and the way its implemented.

It is only part of the problem and I do like spending time finding a solution, sometimes a little direction can also be very beneficial.

I'm not fully adept at the "way" one can do things in labview, perhaps examples showing both code and Labview could be beneficial for an easier transition for some people.

Thanks for all the help to-date !

The tutorials are a good place to start to understand some of LabVIEW's features.

Of course, if you don't take advantage of them, then that is another story.

And what is with your two usernames Joe_Le and Joe_Ieen?

Your second alterego indicates that you have been on this message board since the end of May, and you still seem to have made not much progress with LabVIEW since then.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23
(815 Views)

Have no idea why I was asked to re-enter a new username especially with automatic login.

Not posting since May can be seen as a really good sign, shows the vast available information on the board to answer questions !

And credit to all who participate !

Since May I have been using Signal Express, System Identification and Modal Parameter Extraction for vibrational analysis and frequency response functions and working through problems as much as possible myself. I will only ask a question on the board if really stuck, however how basic it may seem. 

It's a fantastic resourse which I have no intention of abusing.  

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(808 Views)

I am sure there is plenty to do in his project after this. It is not so matter of him prefering Mathscript as him no knowing about to how to even program in LabVIEW.

I am not convinced your giving him the completed VI going to help him that much in his learning how to program in LabVIEW.

If it takes him days to solve his simple problem, then that is fine. He'll learn more by doing than by receiving.

This forum is for helping with LabVIEW, and not for questioning intent and other muddy moral issues such as duplicate accounts and login history. Unless somebody is really disruptive, this simply does not belong here. We are all professionals.

Learning from examples is a very powerful method, especially if the example is so simple. Learning about shift registers is much more efficient after seeing one in action. It can make the "click" happen in the students mind. After that, the learning curve will be faster and easier overall. That was my intent!

We are not here to simply throw everybody into the deep end of the pool and watch them struggle. What else do you suggest to "teach" them? Remove all higher level file IO and force all beginners to use low level? Remove all signal processing and FFT because they learn more if they program them from scratch?

We've all seen beginners code that does little with a huge amount of confusing code and a birds nest of wires. Presenting a simple and clean program alternative that does the same with 10% of the effort relays the message that LabVIEW is indeed capable and challenges to look at LabVIEW with new found admiration instead of giving up in frustration and going back to text based code.

We are here to promote LabVIEW and good coding. Didactics differ from teacher to teacher and are not cast in stone. I believe "learning the hard way" does not necessarily make a better programmer in the end, it just slows down the learning process.

Yes, we will have to disagree on this. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23
(803 Views)

I know this is way off topic, but whatever.  I thought Altenbach felt the OP showed enough effort in order to show a good answer.  All we ask is to show some effort and we will reward the posters.  Maybe we are a little harsh on some users, but only when they show no effort to figure it out themselves or try to learn.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23
(795 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

This forum is for helping with LabVIEW, and not for questioning intent and other muddy moral issues such as duplicate accounts and login history.

On some forums, duplicate accounts is cause for expulsion. It calls the person's credibility into doubt. Post under one account with some questions; post under the other account with other questions. Just keep claiming that one is a "beginner" with each account. No one is the wiser, right?

Have duplicate accounts is a FACT. It isn't a "moral" issue.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23
(780 Views)