From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registry

Hi , 

I want to know what is the goal behind  saving the Password of vi in Registry , and if this is good or not ?

thank you . 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,615 Views)

@Emna20 wrote:

Hi , 

I want to know what is the goal behind  saving the Password of vi in Registry , and if this is good or not ?

thank you . 

What someones goal with storing a password in the Windows registry is I cannot understand. There cannot be a sane reason for it. What is your goal? Do you need password-protection? Tell us your use-case.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,607 Views)

Hi,

I am reading a program written by someone . the developper want to protect the password  by storing it in Windows registry to make sure the user dosen't know about the password.

is that ok ?

did any one use this before ?  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,603 Views)

Passwords shouldn't be stored in the registry. It is not protected there. Why store it on the pc at all?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,598 Views)

Hi, 

it sort of Login to the Administration vi . the user must enter the password and if the password written by the user is the same passoword stored in the registry the vi is open .

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,593 Views)

That is a dangerous and insecure method to use.  There are much better (and safer) ways of doing this.  For example, if you know that I am an "authorized" Administrator, you could ask me for my Cell Phone number, and write a VI that calls my cell phone, gives it a random (hence unpredictable, even if you have the LabVIEW code in front of you) value, and asks me to enter it in a Dialog Box, unlocking the function if I get it right, and (if you want to be really secure) deleting the program from the User's Hard Drive if the wrong number is entered several times in a row.

Bob Schor

Message 6 of 9
(2,589 Views)

Are you perhaps not talking about the VI password, but a mechanism for implementing a password to unlock some feature in an application? Where to store such a password depends on how secure you want it, but one simple solution is to hash the password and store the hash in a config file. That file could also be hashed and checked so it cannot be tampered with. There is a MD5 checksum VI in the LabVIEW file palettes.

Message 7 of 9
(2,583 Views)

Hi,

the input of the MD5 checksum VI is "Path" but the password is "string "? 

Thank you .

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,566 Views)

@Emna20 wrote:

Hi,

the input of the MD5 checksum VI is "Path" but the password is "string "? 

Thank you .

To use with a string, you can simply use the VIs inside that VI. See e.g. http://www.ni.com/example/25424/en/ how it is done.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,487 Views)