LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registry

Hi , 

I want to know what is the goal behind  saving the Password of vi in Registry , and if this is good or not ?

thank you . 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,624 Views)

@Emna20 wrote:

Hi , 

I want to know what is the goal behind  saving the Password of vi in Registry , and if this is good or not ?

thank you . 

What someones goal with storing a password in the Windows registry is I cannot understand. There cannot be a sane reason for it. What is your goal? Do you need password-protection? Tell us your use-case.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,616 Views)

Hi,

I am reading a program written by someone . the developper want to protect the password  by storing it in Windows registry to make sure the user dosen't know about the password.

is that ok ?

did any one use this before ?  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,612 Views)

Passwords shouldn't be stored in the registry. It is not protected there. Why store it on the pc at all?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,607 Views)

Hi, 

it sort of Login to the Administration vi . the user must enter the password and if the password written by the user is the same passoword stored in the registry the vi is open .

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,602 Views)

That is a dangerous and insecure method to use.  There are much better (and safer) ways of doing this.  For example, if you know that I am an "authorized" Administrator, you could ask me for my Cell Phone number, and write a VI that calls my cell phone, gives it a random (hence unpredictable, even if you have the LabVIEW code in front of you) value, and asks me to enter it in a Dialog Box, unlocking the function if I get it right, and (if you want to be really secure) deleting the program from the User's Hard Drive if the wrong number is entered several times in a row.

Bob Schor

Message 6 of 9
(2,598 Views)

Are you perhaps not talking about the VI password, but a mechanism for implementing a password to unlock some feature in an application? Where to store such a password depends on how secure you want it, but one simple solution is to hash the password and store the hash in a config file. That file could also be hashed and checked so it cannot be tampered with. There is a MD5 checksum VI in the LabVIEW file palettes.

Message 7 of 9
(2,592 Views)

Hi,

the input of the MD5 checksum VI is "Path" but the password is "string "? 

Thank you .

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,575 Views)

@Emna20 wrote:

Hi,

the input of the MD5 checksum VI is "Path" but the password is "string "? 

Thank you .

To use with a string, you can simply use the VIs inside that VI. See e.g. http://www.ni.com/example/25424/en/ how it is done.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,496 Views)