From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg. Constant folding of wires and structures settings.

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Turning it on sometimes doesn't seem to be enough to turn it on though.

It might need a recompile to show for the first time after enabling the display. Not sure.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(643 Views)

Can't make them show whatever I do. Changing, running, shift+run, new VI, nothing. And after a while (hours?) they suddenly appear.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(638 Views)

With 2013 the vi often has too actually run to calculate the folded constant before the constant folding is shown on structures. And, if you separate compiled objects from source there are other times the obj cashe may not update the bd graphics.  LESSON: use a modern version

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(621 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

With 2013 the vi often has too actually run to calculate the folded constant before the constant folding is shown on structures. And, if you separate compiled objects from source there are other times the obj cashe may not update the bd graphics.  LESSON: use a modern version

Running does indeed help, but I'm sure I've seen it in idle VI's as well.

EDIT: Actually, after running continuously for a while, it stays on, even after stopping and editing...

Anyway, it's mostly annoying (to me) to have it on.

I'm getting closer to convince my "sponsors" to switch to 2017. Can't be soon enough. I know I'm going to be measurable more efficient, but that's no evidence...

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(613 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

I'm getting closer to convince my "sponsors" to switch to 2017. Can't be soon enough. I know I'm going to be measurable more efficient, but that's no evidence...

2017 SP1 should be about ready to release (pure speculation on my part).  I tried 2017 but had a horrible experience due to a bug (crashes when using the distribution tools).  Assuming that is fixed, I will start the process of migrating to 2017 SP1 purely for the Malleable VI feature.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 15 of 17
(601 Views)

Embrace the Channels Wiebe. Learn to Channel the force data.

fight%20darkVador.gif

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(584 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Embrace the Channels Wiebe. Learn to Channel the force data.

fight%20darkVador.gif

I'm not sure if I can morally cope with using those channel wires. I made some OO patterns (Queue\Queue Sender\Queue Receiver) that do more or less the same. As a replacement for them it will just save time...

To stay in the Star Wars analogies: they feel like a double bladed sword (a term NI uses when features might encourage bad architectures (usually before declining great ideas))..

68a

Malleable VI's, the drag in\out structure auto-rewiring, start up\shut down\load speed, that will save some time. And RSI.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(563 Views)