From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for low power Windows Labview controller

I build a lot of battery powered Labview systems.  The lowest power Windows controllers I've been able to find are the Intel Atom based units (e.g. iGoLogic iBox510 at about 3-5 Watts).  I'd love to find something in the 1 Watt or less range.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'd be willing to consider non-windows solutions if they had really low power consumption.

Thanks - Gene

Message 1 of 14
(4,478 Views)

Have you looked at NI's cRIO systems?  I know some of the single board cRIO run on less than a Watt.  Your application needs will drive what models to look at.

--Using LV8.2, 8.6, 2009, 2012--
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,472 Views)

I did a quick look at some of the lower end sbCRIO boards and didn't see anything near 1 Watt.  Which one in particular were you referring to?

Thanks - Gene

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,466 Views)

You have to dig into the specifications on the user guide pdf.  Just picking one, the 9481E is 580mW max active and 5mW in sleep.

--Using LV8.2, 8.6, 2009, 2012--
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,452 Views)

Aha!  You're talking about just a DAQ card.  My understanding is the DAQ cards (like the 9481)  have to plug into one of the single board RIO controllers (like the sbRIO-9601).  The controllers are on the order of 5 Watts. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,443 Views)

Yes, that is correct that the modules need to be plugged into a chassis or controller.  I'll take a look into our controllers and see if any of them meet those power constraints.

Jon

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,429 Views)

I've taken a look into this, and unfortunately it appears that none of our controllers will have that low of a power consumption.  Thanks for your interest!

Jon

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,406 Views)

After some years, I am wondering whether NI is selling any cDAQ chassis/controller product in which "sleep" mode is allowed for long-term power saving. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,380 Views)

Maybe an Arduino?

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 9 of 14
(2,364 Views)

Raspberry Pi (some version of 2 and 3) have a 1W-1.5W idling power consumption

Message 10 of 14
(2,360 Views)