LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Time maximum loop speeds

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm still new to LV and have a question about the achievable loops times on the RT system on a cRIO 9074.

From what I've understood, the maximum loop rate for a loop containing elements which access the scan interface is 1000 Hz .

But can you run a loop faster, when it does not use the scan engine to access anything.

Thanks for the help.
Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,142 Views)

I'm still new to LV and have a question about the achievable loops times on the RT system on a cRIO 9074.

From what I've understood, the maximum loop rate for a loop containing elements which access the scan interface is 1000 Hz .

But can you run a loop faster, when it does not use the scan engine to access anything.

Thanks for the help.
Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,121 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author schpongo

Hi Daniel,

yes.

Spoiler
When you want to achieve loop iteration rates in the kHz-range including HW access you should start to program the FPGA part of your cRIO9074!
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,140 Views)

Thanks for the quick answer. 
What kind of loop rate would I be looking at?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,138 Views)

Hi Daniel,

achievable loop rates depend on loop content and CPU resources…

What exactly do you want to process in those loops?

- You have a CPU clocked at 400MHz (or was it just 266MHz?) and there still is a OS running in the background.

- You surely don't want to hog the CPU so the whole cRIO becomes unresponsive.

Btw. you don't need to post your question twice, please keep your discussion in one place.

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,118 Views)

I have a 400MHz CPU.
You are correct I don't want to overly stress the cpu. But I'm just trying to get a feel for the speed as I don't have access to the unit on which my software should be deployed.

I'm sorry for double posting the Question, but I was getting errors while trying to post the question and must have accidentally posted the question twice.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,109 Views)

Hi Daniel,

I'm just trying to get a feel for the speed as I don't have access to the unit on which my software should be deployed.

To get a feeling about the processing speed of your cRIO you could use an old PC with a PentiumII CPU from 1998/1999. This old CPU used about the same clock!

You need to understand the meaning of the term "realtime": it has nothing to do with raw processing speed! Your cRIO is an older device with very limited processing power (CPU and RAM)…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,095 Views)