LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading Data from a Mitutoyo Device

Hello. I've been on here a few times and you've all seemed to help alot. I have a Mitutoyo Micrometer (SDV-4"A) to be precise, I am hoping to read data from the device on LABVIEW. I bought the cable that connects right to USB from Mitutoyo but the only thing i seem to be able to do with that is that I can open an excel Sheet and everytime I press the data button on the device it writes the current value into the spreadsheet. I want to be able to read the data on labview as it changes on the device and eventually use that in a graph. So far i'm not even able to get labview to acknowledge the device. I would like to mention that I have gone Nowhere with this and while all help is greatly appreciated I would need help as detailed as you can make it. Please let me know if there is any information you need to let you help me better. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(678 Views)

Has Mitutoyo provided any sort of documentation on how to talk to this device (Micrometer) over the cable?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(661 Views)

According to this document 

using an encoder you would be able to read RS-232 Signals, you will need a RS-232 to USB adapter. I 

According to the attached document there is a way to connect  a RS-232 converter to the Encoder ./

Contact Mitutoyo to ask if is possible to connect to USB directly then ask for the communication protocol, with that you will be able to understand the messages sent /from the device. 

LVNinja_5-1719583050252.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(659 Views)

Based on the image posted by @LVNinja, the USB interface you have translates the measurement from your micrometer and sends keystrokes to the computer as if it were a USB keyboard, but it happens whenever you press the button on the cable.

Unfortunately, that is not useful as it expects you to press the button and you need to continuously collect the data.

It looks like almost all the accessories seem to have a foot switch interface; not sure if they support continuous capture.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(625 Views)

About 20 years ago I connected a Mitutoyo device to a serial port ...

as far as I remeber the connector at the device needed a external supply that was generated by one or two handshake line set to a certain state . not shure if resistors and/or diodes where involved ... but I remember I did some soldering to a BD9 serial connector 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(598 Views)

@LVNinja wrote:

According to this document 

using an encoder you would be able to read RS-232 Signals, you will need a RS-232 to USB adapter. I 

According to the attached document there is a way to connect  a RS-232 converter to the Encoder ./

Contact Mitutoyo to ask if is possible to connect to USB directly then ask for the communication protocol, with that you will be able to understand the messages sent /from the device. 

LVNinja_5-1719583050252.png

I agree with Santo. I think the device the OP is using is only one way communication. We have a similar device that does the same thing.

The easiest thing for the OP to do is to use the MIG-4A for what he/she is wanting to do. It has been a LONG while since I have used one of those and only used it for an external app (early .NET days) that I did not write.

We had some old documentation on how to use that device and what the communication protocol was, but it has been MANY, MANY moons since I've even seen one.

Mitutoyo might still have those devices available and it's documentation. Worth a call. If they don't or don't have a upgraded multiplexer box, we've been pretty happy with the MicroRidge Pro2/4/8 boxes to communicate with those Mitutoyo indicators. Easy to setup, configure, and grab data. The boxes are pricy.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(583 Views)

So I spoke to the Company Technical department and they provided me with a driver software "USB ITPAK" that converts the Mitutoyo USB Cable to a serial port. So now it reads as COM12 on my computer which helps as I can now see the device on labview. Now My issue is creating a VI to read the values being shown on the gauge.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(554 Views)