From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Queued Message Handler Library on CLD Exam

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'd like to use the 'Message Queue.lvlib' library that comes with the QMH Template on the CLD Exam instead of making all the queue-based Sub-VIs and Controls myself. Since the CLD Exam only has folders for 'SubVIs' and 'Controls,' where would I place this library (or its internal Sub-VIs and Controls) to follow NI's standard? I've thought of just dumping the controls and subVIs within this library into their respective folders, but that doesn't seem very clean. Would subfolders be a more effective approach, or am I now deviating from the file structure they've provided (and want)?

Thanks for your help,

Collin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,850 Views)

Since you can literally use anything from the LV installation, I would just use them directly, like any other dependency.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 9
(1,814 Views)

Thanks Bill! If I were to import and use the entire QMH Template, however, how would I logically incorporate it into the Exam’s file structure (whenever I import LabVIEW creates a whole new copy of the template, which I then have to save accordingly)? I just have ‘SubVIs’ and ‘Controls’ folders to work with, which would divide up the various QMH libraries if I segregated the files that way. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,807 Views)

It's been years since I've taken it, but I think all you have to do is use the controls that they give you.  I don't recall having to use the same folder structure.  If anyone can confirm or deny this, that would be awesome.  Any more detailed discussion and maybe this needs to moved to the certification board.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,802 Views)

Hi cdubs1495,

How about using the project and opening the qmh template directly? - Yes, you shouldn't change the hierarchy they prepare for you, but you don't have to (for example using auto-populating folders)

in this post:

Project use in CLD exam 

a former NI employee (and other active members) confirms the usage of projects is completely fine -> it will not give or take any extra points from you.

Funnily even this official Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD) Exam Preparation Resource Guide 

mentions QMH 

Ajskrim_0-1652162077034.png

-Patrik
CLA || CTA
If it helps - Kudo it, if it answers - Mark As Solution
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,770 Views)

I knew you could use the examples, just not so directly.  It makes sense, though, because in order to modify it to suit our needs, you need to know your stuff.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,745 Views)

Thank you for these answers! @Ajskrim, if I start by opening up the Main VI included with the exam (Boiler in this case) but want to use the QMH template, it looks like I have to select 'Create a New Project' to have access to this template (using LV 2013, see attached photo). From there, however, LabVIEW has now created a copy of the entire QMH template with libraries, VIs, and controls that I have to save in the exam directory. My follow-up question would be: how do I save this template/folders and files in the exam folder to follow the file structure and convention that NI has setup? Should I divide up the subdirectories and files within the 'QMH Template' folder?

Thanks again for all your help!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,729 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cdubs1495

I would say yes, you can replace the Main VI of the project, with your VI (ATM/Boiler etc). Support folder of QMH into subVI folder of the test, controls into controls. It may sound like tweaking, but you are allowed to use everything in the vanilla LabVIEW version, and QMH is part of it. 

I found a GitHub repo (public), where the author also uses QMH, you may take a look (however we do not know if he passed 🙂
https://github.com/edersonramalho83/Car-Wash-CLD-Sample-Project

-Patrik
CLA || CTA
If it helps - Kudo it, if it answers - Mark As Solution
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,690 Views)

Perfect, thank you so much! It seemed weird to throw the Support folder into the SubVIs directory since it has VIs, Controls, and a Library file, but I guess there really isn't another place to put it. Thanks for attaching the GitHub Repo! I'll look through that as well.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,668 Views)