cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question to R&S Spectrum Analyzer and Vector Signal Generator in LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Good Morning,

I use a FSV Signal Analyzer to get the Value in dB from a Marker Position but after the initialization and the configeration i get an Error Message (showed below). I dont know what the Problem is i set the Marker number 1 and the actual window with number 0. The Position of the Marker should be the Frequency 5,95 GHz.

Error Message:

Rohde&Schwarz Spectrum Analyzer.lvlib:rsidr_core.lvlib:instrument_error_query.vi<ERR>Attribute name "Marker Position" (RSSPECAN_ATTR_MARKER_POSITION)
Instrument reports an error in the error queue ('SYST:ERR?' SCPI query):
-222,"Data out of range;CALC:MARK1:X 5950000000"

Debug info:
LabVIEW: 2019 64-bit Development System
Driver: rsspecan ver. 4.65.1 (core ver. 6.60.0)
Instrument *IDN? string: "Rohde&Schwarz,FSV-30,1307.9002K30/100848,3.50"
<b>ExpressVI call chain:</b>
Rohde&Schwarz Spectrum Analyzer.lvlib:->
Express VI "Set Marker Position"
Move Marker.vi
Vektor Signal Generator.vi

and Error Code: -1074001424

My second Problem is the Power sweep configuration of the SMW200A. With the automatic Sweep mode i have no Problems but i cant change the step size and dont know how to get from one step to the next step i configured a step time of 15 ms at the moment but if i start the Vi without the automatic mode the Level of Power dont switch.

At the moment my Vi is not very clear. Later i will insert some structs to get every value for every step and insert this into an array for the Graph. I hope its not to distracting.

Thx for the help

Chris

(I added the Vi but at the moment i have only the 2 questions above

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,956 Views)

Hi Chris,

@Chris202002 wrote:

I dont know what the Problem is i set the Marker number 1 and the actual window with number 0. The Position of the Marker should be the Frequency 5,95 GHz.

Error Message:

…<ERR>Attribute name "Marker Position" (RSSPECAN_ATTR_MARKER_POSITION)
-222,"Data out of range;CALC:MARK1:X 5950000000"

…<b>ExpressVI call chain:</b>
Move Marker.vi

The error message is quite clear: out of range, apparently at the "CALC:MARK1" command! This error message comes directly from your device, it is not a LabVIEW error…

Have you tried other values?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,952 Views)

yeah i checked some other values  but i get every time the same error (with the different value

I have a picture with the moment of error form the debug mode.And the message:

Rohde&Schwarz Spectrum Analyzer.lvlib:rsidr_core.lvlib:instrument_error_query.vi<ERR>Attribute name "Marker Position" (RSSPECAN_ATTR_MARKER_POSITION)
-222,"Data out of range;CALC:MARK1:X 50"

Debug info:
LabVIEW: 2019 64-bit Development System
Driver: rsspecan ver. 4.65.1 (core ver. 6.60.0)
Instrument *IDN? string: "Rohde&Schwarz,FSV-30,1307.9002K30/100848,3.50"
<b>ExpressVI call chain:</b>
Move Marker.vi
Vektor Signal Generator.vi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,940 Views)

Hi Chris,

then you need to read the RS manual to learn about using this command.

It's still a device error and not a LabVIEW problem...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,935 Views)

I am noticing you are not setting the range of the analyzer.  You should do that first to make sure your cursor will be able to be moved to a valid location.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 9
(2,928 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris202002

Yes, first setup your sweep range then set markers within that range.  Then you need to make sure the marker is turned ON, then you can specify the marker position. Also all markers can be delta markers,  refering to the position of marker 1 unless you disable the delta mode.  So you could do something like the following.

INIT:CONT OFF;                        >> Switches to single sweep mode.

CALC:MARK1 ON;                    >> Turn marker #2 ON

CALC:DELT1 OFF;                   >> Make marker relative position.

CALC:MARK1:X 1.7MHz;         >> Set marker X position

DISP:MTAB;                             >> Dispaly the marker table.

INIT;*WAI;                                 >> Starts a sweep and waits for the end.

CALC:MARK1:Y?                     >> Read the marker data.

Here's an on-line manual you can refer to..https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/webhelp/fsv_rsanalyzerhelp/fsv_rsanalyzerhelp.htm

I haven't used this model, but it might be the number is too big for the command.  Usually not a problem with SCPI commands for newer instruments, but the examples seem to use a suffx (MHz or GHz) or explicitly in engineering notation as 5950E+6 or 5.95E+9.  Try

CALC0:MARK1:X 5.95GHz;  >> Note the period and not a comma.

Craig

EDIT:  I changed it all to marker 1, and CALC0.  Added display table.

Message 6 of 9
(2,880 Views)

thx for your help it is working. The Numbers 5E+9 are automatically changed to the 5000000000 but this is not a problem for the Analyzer. In my Mind the Problem was the Frequency Range i didn´t define. I thought the Analyzer use the preset from the device but it didn´t work i had to define it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,818 Views)

My other Problem is i need to get a value at every change of the sweep from the Signal generator. My idea is it to measure every 15 ms (the sweep time of the SMW200A) to get a new value but is it possible to coordinate the measurment moment with the sweep steps? Iam looking for an option to trigger the sweep steps manualy. Then it would be easy to get the correct value at every step.

Thanks for your help

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,816 Views)

Ok sorry for the last question i found a Vi trigger source to solve the Problem.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,813 Views)