From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with .exe file (missing subvi)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi There,

I have a project with a packaged .exe file. I tried to run the .exe file on multiple other computers (not the develop one). Some of them work smoothly but some are not, which is very strange.

The ones that can not work correctly give the message of missing subvis (see attached files). The computer already installed with runtime engine and NI VISA.

I am wondering what is the possible reason? Thank you very much!

Charlie

subvi missing.JPG

missing subvi 2.JPG

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,075 Views)

Before building an exe file confirm, whether it have the same missing subvi file in properties >> source files >> project files >> always included.

Check out this page,

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/building_a_stand_alone_app/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,050 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author charliephy

This could be anything...

Are you using dynamic loading? Even then, it won't explain why it works on some computers and not on others.

What have the working and non-working computers in common? Perhaps LabVIEW is installed on some and not on others?

I'd be suspicious on that path name in the exe's path. It's not a standard character, and some computers might not deal with it properly. I think it should, but it's definitely out of the ordinary. I'd try what happens when you stick to ASCII characters, if only just to rule it out as a source of errors.

Message 3 of 7
(2,998 Views)

Hi Carya,

Thank you very much for your help here. The strange character in the path is actually a Chinese character which can not be displayed by my computer correctly. Since I removed it, it works smoothly.

Thanks again!

Best,

Charlie

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,975 Views)

Sounds like a bug (in LabVIEW) to me.

I'll point the authorities to this thread.

Could you mention your LabVIEW version?

If you could post a project (as small as possible) that reproduces the problem would be great.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,953 Views)

Hi Carya,

I dont think it is a bug in labview. I doubled checked it and realized that it is caused by different character types.

The computer I used is in Unicode (default for English version of Win 10). The computer built the .exe file is in GBK character type (a engineer in China build this for us). When he build the file, he saved subvis in folder path with Chinese characters. 

If I run the .exe in my computer, due to the character type issue, the computer can not read the path correctly. When I tried the .exe in my colleagues' computers, since some of them using Chinese version Win 10, the file can be executed. This caused the confusion part when I post this issue.

I am using Labview 2017 BTW.

Thanks again.

Charlie

Message 6 of 7
(2,919 Views)

I see the executable as a contained thing. How it stores it's things internally should not be of concert to the users, AFAIC.

The executable's internal paths should be stored in such a way that it works anywhere (supported, of course).

LabVIEW CG still uses code pages, and that's probably the real problem. I'd guess that there is a mismatch between paths stored as Unicode, and paths parsed as MBSC... Or a mismatch between paths stored as MBSC that doesn't resolve properly in another code page. That's easy to check\prove, start the exe where it's broken, but start it running under another code page.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,915 Views)