cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting Types

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

Am trying to plot graphs in the following style and type.

I need details about doing the same in LabVIEW. 

Glad, if anyone helps..

ABC.PNG ABCD.PNG

You can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,070 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PriyadarsiniS

Hi Priyardarsini,

the left one looks like an error bar plot, the right like an ordinary waveform graph…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,060 Views)

The graph on the left is tricky.

I would utilise the picture control lay over that is build in in most LV graphs. There might be a learning curve, you need to get familiar with picture controls, and graph events. Benefit is you get the graphs scaling for free.

Depending on the exact case, I might skip the graph and use only a picture control. You can do everything, but you need to do everything from 0... Drawing scales are very difficult.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,034 Views)

The best way to do this in LabVIEW is use the "Advanced Plotting Toolkit" from Heliosphere.  Its available free in VIPM.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Advanced-Plotting-Toolkit/gp-p/5004

The example they provide is a scatter plot but easy enough to make it a line plot with error bars.

The underlying plotting engine is MatplotLib, so anything it can do APT can do..just about.

apt_candlestick_errorbars.png

Message 4 of 10
(4,015 Views)

Didn't know about that toolkit. No interaction (zooming, moving, etc. like a LV graph) though.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,008 Views)

True. It mainly allows you to make prettier plots and more advanced plots without any effort, but at the cost some common LabVIEW plot features.  

There's documentation here - http://advancedplotting.github.io/

and examples here - http://advancedplotting.github.io/docs/index.html

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,995 Views)

@cstorey wrote:

The best way to do this in LabVIEW is use the "Advanced Plotting Toolkit"

The resource 'Advanced plotting toolkit' looks like a simpler and made easy tool... Thanks anyway for introducing such tool..

My opinion on these plots is that, it looks fine on the error bar or feather graph even through default library functions of NI...what matters is the auto-scaling of axis that determines the readability and more scaling processes.

Third party in this case is further adding up-to risks with complexity, and I feel like its unnecessary in this case.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,960 Views)

Check out this presentation I did at NIDays and an advanced UG meeting 2011\2012. Haven't looked at is since, you'd be the first in 5 years!

It shows how to use the picture control inside graphs. You'll have the best of two worlds.

Note that the code is crap. Hardly any sub VI's, on purpose. The code is mend to demonstrate the technique, and nice code tends to hide these details. I'd go for a class, since this particular situation is very well suited for OO.

Message 8 of 10
(3,945 Views)

Thanks for sharing!  Interesting stuff.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,902 Views)

Thanks! It seems to be an eye opener even for seasoned LV programmers. You'll never notice these overlays if you're not looking for them...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,884 Views)