LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance and Memory Tool

Hey everyone

me again. I have a big problem with the software I developed. It is running 24/7 and over some weeks, it uses all of the testbench-pc's memory and in the end crashes... I managed to create a nice memory leak or so. I already read that this is not easy to find and I have been trying the Performance and Memory Tool. But actually I found it to be very unuseful? The Labview help tells me that this tool is able to detect the total memory use of a single VI (Find a screenshot of the labview help attached). So my question is: Where can I see this? It would help me a lot as I could see what VI is using more and more memory?

thx for your help 🙂
best regards

anna

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,393 Views)

I'd give the Max Bytes column a try. Not sure how\if that's translated to German...

NI LabVIEW Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit is probably a better tool to find the leak. Performance and memory profiler is not very convenient at all. Or a code review... Any reference, but especially non-native references like .NET, Windows and com are suspicious. And uninitialized shift registers and array\string buffers.

Message 2 of 4
(2,376 Views)

You have to repeatedly do snap-shots and watch for the VIs that keep using more memory.

Another approach that may help is to use the VI Analyzer. It may point out issues.

yet another approach is to remove all "waits" from loops and see if you can increase the rate at which it uses memory. Windows Task Manager will show you the memory used and you can track how fats it consumes memory. Then you can start whacking away, removing half the code and see if the leak is still there.

If posting your code is an option there are many people on this forum capable of spotting a memory leak just by looking at the code.

This tag cloud may help you find some more info.

Have fun!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 4
(2,358 Views)

I agree that the Desktop Trace Execution Toolkit is the best tool for finding a memory leak. 

How large is the project? I agree with Ben, if its not too large and you can post it, someone here could probably find the issue fairly quickly. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,344 Views)