From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing data from LabVIEW to MATLAB

Hi,

I am generating a virtual instrument sine wave in labVIEW (with added noise). I wish to export the numeric amplitude and time values of my sine wave to MATLAB for some analysis there. This is a little odd I know, but I will eventually add on a CompactRio input and will process more complex data. However I want to test out LabVIEW and MATLAB integration first.

My questions are: 

• What are the stages I must go through to export my data to MATLAB?
  • I know MATLAB can't handle real time data, so how do I go about saving my data before transfer?
  • Idealy I would like to be able to write a command prompt in MATLAB which loads my saved LabVIEW data into the MATLAB environment, is this possible?

I am using LabVIEW 11 and MATLAB 2011b and have most of the add on packages for both.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,166 Views)

Simplest way is to save your data as a csv file and then you can literally drag and drop the data onto matlab, which you can then manipulate however you want.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,163 Views)

Thanks for the advice. I had a quick shot there and it did not work. I presume you use the  MATHSCRIPT node and the command csvwrite('input') where input is the inputed numeric data and then call the command csvread('input') in MATLAB? Is this right?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,158 Views)

Another alternative is to write the data to a .m file as vectors or matrices. The format is easy to generate and is well-documented.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,155 Views)

Do you have any links to documents discussing this?

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,152 Views)

No, I just make it into a csv file. I use the open/create vi to create a file and I put it as a csv file. I then input the data as shown in the subVI I've attached, before closing it again.

I hope this makes sense.

Once the file is written to, I open Matlab and just drag the CSV file onto the variable box. It automatically creates it there and I then can use whatever Matlab commands I want to do stuff to it.

Let me know if this still doesn't make sense and I'll try making an almost step by step example.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,142 Views)