cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pass Boolean b/t parallel threads

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Labview Board,

I have two Labview processes that run in parallel.   One performs data input and the other data output.   They where originally designed to run independent of each other, but today I need them to perform some modest integration.   Both processes are very complex, so I would like to avoid a costly rebuild.   I'm looking for a quick and dirty solution.

I need process #1 (which is loop based) to temporarily hold execution based on a condition (Boolean indicator) in process #2.   I am not familiar with parallel processing techniques in labview, and I'm wondering if I'm making this harder than it really is.   Can I place a wait loop in one process that references an indicator in another process?   What is the easiest way to pass Boolean data between parallel threads?

Thank you,

Zach

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,031 Views)

You need a functional global. Do a search for that and you will find many examples and tutorials.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,023 Views)

I don't understand exactly how this works yet, but here is my first attempt at the VI.

Does this look correct?

Thanks,

Zach

Message 3 of 12
(3,002 Views)

@super-neuron wrote:

I don't understand exactly how this works yet, but here is my first attempt at the VI.

Does this look correct?

Thanks,

Zach

Take a look at this Nugget on Action Engines to see if tht can clear up some confusion.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,994 Views)

That's really good. I didn't reply that long ago and you are already starting to get it.

Two comments

• One key thing about Functional Globals is that they ALWAYS have a true wired to the stop terminal of the loop. The loop iterates exactly one time when the vi is called.
  • You should wire an enum instead of an integer to the case selector. Make one entry "Set" or "Write" and the other "Get" or "Read". This way you can see the text in the case selector instead of a number. The enum should be a type def as well.

Definitely study the nugget that Ben posted on Action Engines. (Functional Global is your most basic Action Engine which has a set and a get method.)

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 5 of 12
(2,985 Views)

Steve,

I am beginning to understand the nature of the functional global.   I made the changes you recommended and attached the VI.   Would you please review it real quick?   Between your help and Ben's nugget I feel like I can now ask an intelligent question:

My implementation only requires the passing of one boolean.   It is written in only one place, and read from only one place.   For me, what are the advantages of the functional global action engine versus a regular global variable?

Promise this is my last reply!

Thanks,

Zach

Message 6 of 12
(2,972 Views)

It is written in only one place [..] global variable?

Yes.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,967 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author super-neuron

That vi is perfect.

In your case using a variable is probably ok. But don't use a global - use a local! I would still stay away from using variables though - you never know what the future holds. Maybe you end up adding some other loop. Maybe you want to add error checking and signal the loops to stop on error.

There is an important difference between Functional Globals and just a simple variable. Since the FG is a vi only one instance can execute at a time*. With a variable you have no way of knowing who is writing or reading what or when unless you use semaphores or sequence structures.

* unless you make it reentrant

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 8 of 12
(2,966 Views)

Thanks Steve!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,949 Views)

@f. Schubert wrote:

It is written in only one place [..] global variable?

Yes.

Felix

"But can't I get away with just using a penny instead of a fuse for now?"

For the current application and assuming

1) the code will never change and

2) if it does change you will be that person and

3) you will remeber you used a global and

4) also remeber that gloabls have the potential of a race condition.

I code by the hour and do so such that my customers can confidently twaek their app without getting me involved. If I have to be involved, then I failed in my goal (sorta like what I do here on the forums Smiley Wink )

So if the question is "can I get away with it?" then yes.

"Would I allow one of my rookies to do it?" NO

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,924 Views)