LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent Method VI doesn't return to edit mode after first run

Hi all,

I have an overriding method VI with one child VI. When the project is loaded the Parent VI and child VI are editable but after the first run of application the Parent VI is still in run mode(preventing editing) even after the application has finished its execution. When I try changing the VI to edit mode it shows the message "This VI is locked to prevent edits to its connector pane. One or more VIs that override this VI are currently running. Stop those VIs in order to unlock this VI" even though its over riding VIs are idle and editable. The execution property of the parent VI shows that the VI is in idle state. This happens only for a single VI in the entire class. Any idea on why this happens and why that VI is not returning to edit mode?

Thanks,

Ramya

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,763 Views)

Is that specific VI reentrant?

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,757 Views)

No. Its not.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,754 Views)

Can you break down the issue to a small example with only a couple of VIs?

Just for clarification: The override VIs are non-reentrant as well?

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,751 Views)

OK. So consider a "Method.vi" in parent class and that is overriden by the Method.vi in child class. There is no problem in functioning of the VIs. But once the Main VI has stopped its execution, both the parent and child Method.vi are in idle state but only the child Method.vi is editable and Parent method.vi is not editable(i.e.)its locked. When I tried to change the VI ti edit mode it shows "This VI is locked to prevent edits to its connector pane. One or more VIs that override this VI are currently running. Stop those VIs in order to unlock this VI". This behaviour is really strange and I have no idea why this happens to that Vi in particular.

The override VIs are also non-reentrant

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,743 Views)

@Ramya12 wrote:

[...] This behaviour is really strange and I have no idea why this happens to that Vi in particular.

[...]

That is why i request a small example.

Is it possible that you are also using dynamic calls (like for instance the Actor Framework is using internally)?

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,738 Views)