LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PID with Programmable Ramp Rate

I am attempting to build a temp controller with LabVIEW's PID toolkit. The controller needs to get to the correct temperature without overshoot and do it with a programmable ramp rate. However, PID does not (as far as I can tell) allow a programmable ramp rate with respect to the process variable. This must be a common requirement of a process controller. How's it done?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(9,742 Views)
The set point is ramped.

The PID takes care of all of rest.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(9,742 Views)
Hello,
Thanks for contacting National Instruments. The PID toolkit used to have a ramp function for the setpoint. However, we have replaced it with a more versatile function called PID Setpoint Profile VI. This will let you ramp your setpoint if needed. Check out the following KnowledgeBase: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/125F27AC143B6AFD86256C2B0004A4DC?OpenDocument .

The response/output ramp of the PID VI itself is controlled by the PID parameters.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

A Saha
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Anu Saha
Academic Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(9,742 Views)

Hello

I may not talk about the same thing, but in my PID toolkit there no ramp rate related PID. The Vi dealing with the rate is actually taking a cluster of values (time, setpoint) and calculates a setpoint values by taking into account the actual time.

Is there a way to make a ramp rate ?

sorry for this question, I see that the message is several years old

regards

N

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(9,245 Views)

nitad54448 wrote:

Hello

I may not talk about the same thing, but in my PID toolkit there no ramp rate related PID. The Vi dealing with the rate is actually taking a cluster of values (time, setpoint) and calculates a setpoint values by taking into account the actual time.

Is there a way to make a ramp rate ?

It is just basic math.  ramp rate = (SP(n+1)-SP(n))/ (T(n+1)-T(n))

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(9,209 Views)

Hi

I am using a simple vi to make temperature profiles (sawtooth, gaussian and so on). I was questioning this comment : "The PID toolkit used to have a ramp function for the setpoint. However, we have replaced it with a more versatile function called PID Setpoint Profile VI."

N

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(9,198 Views)

I remember the old setpoint ramp VI in the PID toolkit (version 6) - i think it dissapeared when the Toolkit went to 7.1

Try this one. You can specify positive and negative ramp rates and can ramp to a final value.

Hope it helps.

David
www.controlsoftwaresolutions.com
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(9,182 Views)

hi

thanks; can you post it in 8.6 N

regards

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(9,172 Views)

Hi,

I have not used this in 8.6 so let me know if you have any problems

David
www.controlsoftwaresolutions.com
Message 9 of 13
(9,162 Views)

Do you mean that you want limit contreller output? E.g if control gap ABS(SP-PV ) > [limit] is too large and you want freeze controllers output? If you need that I have a very easy solution for you. By the way why you need this kind of ramp ?

BR, Jim

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(9,145 Views)