LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Total Data Size" property of running VI in LabVIEW 7.1 doesn't work any more?

I am trying to use the "Total Data Size" property on a running VI in LabVIEW 7.1.

This always used to work fine in LabVIEW 6.0.2, but now in 7.1 only seems to work on VIs that are idle. If I try to use it on a running VI, all I get is Error 1000.

The on-line help says that this property is available in the run-time engine (read-only).

Can I no longer use this property in LabVIEW 7.1 on a running VI, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Mark.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,857 Views)
I amposting two VI's to demo this issue.

The first is called DataMemUsage and demonstrates the error if pointed at the second "Untitled.VI".

As you say you get the error if untitled is running.

OK if not.

Funny thing is I think the memory profileer is afflected with the same problem!

The memory profile never changes while untitled is running. It will report numbers (just like DataMemUsage.vi") when untitled.vi is not running.

I am guessing you have troubleshot a bug with the profile tool.

I'll report this in the AM unless someone sees something eles here.

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 06-20-2005 09:19 PM

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,847 Views)
The attached demos that this is OK in LV 6.1 as originally claimed.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,843 Views)
I suspect the memory profile is not working in LV 6.1.

Ben
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,828 Views)
I have logged these Q's under service request # 687743.

Ben
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,818 Views)
LabVIEW 6.1 would allow you to query the "Total Data Size" property while the VI was running, but it would occasionally cause a race condition that could crash the program. To prevent this, the ability to indicate the Data Size while the VI is running was removed. In response to previous customer input, the development team has improved the documentation for the next version of LabVIEW to make it more clear that this cannot be done.

Matt L.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 6 of 17
(3,808 Views)
Thanks for that.
I was actually trying to use the "Memory monitor.vi" (\examples\memmon.llb) which uses this particular property to calculate how much data memory each VI uses.

I found this VI really useful in the past, even in built applications, to check the memory usage of my programs. If one of my programs went rampant and starting using more memory than it should, I could just pop up this VI to see
which VI was causing the problem.

But it looks like I won't be able to do this any more 😞

Mark.
Message 7 of 17
(3,799 Views)
Hi MIG,

MAKE YOURSELF HEARD!!!

I can only encourage you (and everyone else) to let the right people in R&D know how much you miss this feature by submitting a Product Suggestion from the ‘feedback’ link on www.ni.com/contact.

Actually, while you’re at it, I’ll submit a Product Suggestion too – I also miss this feature!

Thanks for helping to make our products better in the future.

Message Edited by Philip C. on 06-22-2005 08:58 PM

- Philip Courtois, Thinkbot Solutions

Thinkbot Solutions
Message 8 of 17
(3,782 Views)
Hi Philip,

Godd idea. Product suggestion now submitted.

Mark.
Message 9 of 17
(3,767 Views)
Just bumped into this problem and did find the answer in this thread dating back to 2005.
So, is there a way to do this with 7.1 or 7.1.1 or not?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,277 Views)