LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDA date/time control cannot be changed

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a LV8.6 PDA application installed on an iPAQ hx2490c running Windows Mobile 5.0.  On the front panel is a cluster containing a date/time control and a string control.  The date/time control cannot be changed using any of the functions available on the pop-up keyboard.  The string control edits just fine.

The elements of the date and time can be selected and the cursor moves between the digits correctly, but neither typing a new value or backspacing on the elements have any effect on the values.  This seems to be a problem with the date/time control.

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,448 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael_Munroe

Hi Michael,

I gave this a try and saw the same behavior as you. It seems that direct entry isn't supported (I tried other versions as well), and is unfortunately not documented. I will make it a point to report this to R&D as something we need to either fix, or document. There are often cases like this that just need to be documented better with the Mobile Module (due to the compilation process involved), and that we have to just find a way to work around.

The options seem to be to use the up/down buttons, or the pop-up browser. The browser will let you enter date/time via the onscreen keyboard. Otherwise, you can also try to manipulate numeric and string inputs into timestamps (there are VIs that do this).

Thanks for pointing out this problem. We always appreciate any feedback like this we can get!

cheers,

Brian A.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,423 Views)

Thanks for looking into this, Brian.

I tried to enable the pop-up browser, but when I run the app on the IPAQ, the browser button is not visible unless the date/time control is outside the typedefed cluster. This also seems like a bug, but I will separate the two controls to get it to work.

Thanks.

Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,416 Views)

Hi Michael,

I don't remember having the same problem when I tried this (I did try it within a cluster), but I will take another look at it just in case.  Actually, my cluster wan't typedefed, so maybe that is the issue.  In any case, thanks for the feedback!

Brian A.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,382 Views)

Hi Brian,

I successfully separated the date/time control from the string control and now the pop-up browser button brings up the date and time picker.  Unfortunately, this reveals a newer, more severe bug than I started with.  Choosing a time works perfectly.  Choosing a date crashes the tab control and stacks all of the elements from all tabs on the screen including the date/time picker.

To work around this, I will have to restructure my UI to eliminate the tab control and use 3 separate screens.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,365 Views)
Unfortunately, this problem still exists in my new PDA application running LV 8.6.1.  I eliminated the tabs and created 3 separate windows.  When the window with the date/time control is displayed and the date is changed, another control on the front panel crashes and gives only default values regardless of what the control displays.  Also, the background crashes on a date change.  Pop-up values remain in the background and the pop-up keyboard shows when hidden.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,149 Views)

Good Evening Michael,

Is this the same error that you were receiving in December?

The document that Brian filed when you and he were working on this issue is Corrective Action Request (CAR) #138144.  As of LabVIEW 8.6.1, this issue has not yet been addressed.

If you are not experiencing the same issue as you were in December, please explain the new behavior that you are observing in more detail so that I can duplicate it.  Specifically, what do you mean by the background crashes?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,116 Views)

Hi Charlie,

Yes, this is the same problem.  There exists a severe problem with the date/time control that extends to other controls on the panel.  I already have a new CAR #138144.

On my panel are the objects shown on the earlier graphic.  I separated the date control from the string and the problem is the same.  I broke the application into 3 separate windows to eliminate the tab control, and there was no improvement.

When I click inside the date control, and then pop up the time browser, and select a date, the  background no longer redraws.  If I show the system keyboard, it does not hide when deselected.  If another vi panel pops up, the backgound of the other panel is still visible when closed.  When the wiper revolutions drop-down is changed, the list remains on the screen.

The other problem is the crashing of another control.  The Sampling Interval control turns solid black and the code returns a null string regardless of the previous value.  I replaced the string with separate H M S numeric controls and the H control crashed.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,109 Views)

Good Afternoon Michael,

Please attach your current VI so I can try to duplicate this behavior.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,054 Views)

how can i display the date and time in front pannel without indicator

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,889 Views)