LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal mouse for using LabVIEW?

I was torn between posting this here or in Breakpoint but it'll get more views here so here it goes...

As LabVIEW developers we tend to spend the vast majority of our days using the mouse; a touch pad, wired piece of junk, or ball that constantly needs dust picked out of it just doesn't cut it.  Extra programmable buttons are awesome (I've got mine configured for Ctrl+E, Ctrl+I, minimize and maximize the windows) and save plenty of time and key strokes but lately my mouse has been skipping and dropping out the left mouse button.  Sure quick drop will reduce mouse activity but in the end we're pretty much married to the mouse.  

So, with my Logitech Anywhere MX about to kick the bucket (sadly before I even used its battery destroying "Dark Field" laser on a mirror that they advertise it's capable of) what mouse have you found that you wouldn't develop without?  Suggestions and criticisms of devices you've gone through are certainly welcome.  

Thanks,

Dave

Message 1 of 31
(4,670 Views)

Years ago I tried a programmable mouse for gaming thinking I would just bind stuff to buttons.  This mouse was pretty crappy to start and I couldn't make it do what I want.  So since then I've just been sticking with a 5 button mouse by Microsoft (wired normal size).  I've mapped the middle click to open quick drop, and my back and forward buttons are mapped to CTRL+Scroll so that I can click forward or backward in case and event structures.

Obviously if you go too far in customization you may get used to these tools that you then don't have on all your development environments.  I'm often tweaking code on the deployment system while things are being troubleshot.  I have found myself trying to use back, forward, and middle click on these machines only to realize they don't have all these fancy settings.

Oh and another non-mouse thing in my setup is I added a foot pedal for pressing CTRL.  With my left hand on the home key CTRL+E, S, R, C, V, A, T, D is pretty easy to get to.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 31
(4,651 Views)

I am a fan of the Logitech M570: 

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570

I find regular mice to be hard on the wrist during longer programming sessions.  Once you get used to the motion it's really enjoyable and as fast as a mouse. There is a learning curve that I believe is worth it. There are two programmable buttons on it as well if you want to set that up.  Should be much easier on the wrist and reduce chance of tendon failure (I hope) over the course of a programming career. 

Cheers,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 31
(4,617 Views)

I've been using an Evoluent vertical mouse for a few years now.  It took a little getting used to.  But it definitely reduced strain issues, and it's held up well. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
Message 4 of 31
(4,597 Views)

@Tim_McClung wrote:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570

I find regular mice to be hard on the wrist during longer programming sessions.  Once you get used to the motion it's really enjoyable and as fast as a mouse. There is a learning curve that I believe is worth it. There are two programmable buttons on it as well if you want to set that up.  Should be much easier on the wrist and reduce chance of tendon failure (I hope) over the course of a programming career. 

Cheers,

Tim

My thumb is too stupid to use that trackball.  😉

That being said, I use this guy at home.  Too bad they don't sell these any more.

a20791613dfc30a45da2a4_l__34749.1404794012.1280.1280.jpg

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 5 of 31
(4,583 Views)

At work, I use a 3D Connexion CAD Mouse.  I like it because it actually has a middle mouse button (not a wheel click) and it has a large profile that fits my hand better. 

cadmouse.PNG

I'm not into all the fancy programmable mice, although at home I use a Logitech G700S which has a few programmable buttons.  Most of the time, the extra buttons go unused. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 31
(4,572 Views)

The Logitech Performance MX mouse is easily my favorite mouse on the planet.  I've tried many and always (ALWAYS) come back to this one for these very important reasons.

1) Plenty of buttons.  It has back and forward.  Left and right. It has a "zoom" and it has some alt+tab type of button.  Of course, everything can be reprogrammed.  The scroll wheel is also a button and the scroll wheel has a left click and a right click.  So there's three buttons right there with the scroll wheel.  So again, button needs... CHECK.  (To be honest, I think I only use 4 of them.  I'm a very keyboard dependent guy).

2) It is laser.  Optical mice have made huge strides in recent years to reach the dependability of laser, but at the end of the day, laser is still better.  And like you mentioned, the dark laser is just too awesome to not have and use.  (I use this mouse for gaming with superb accuracy)

3) The mouse is wireless and can be recharged (comes with a rechargeable battery) and lasts about 2 - 3 days.  Depending on use.  I just plug it up after work.  It has definitely made it a whole 5 days and I just recharge over the weekend.  It also comes with 3 LEDs on the side that indicate battery life.  3 full greens means good to go and will slowly drop to 1 single red LED when in need of charging.  The USB-A to micro-USB cable it comes with is actually a nice and long cable that I have used for many other applications.  Just a nice little perk that is nice to have.

4) The scroll wheel!  I love the scroll wheel!  Easily one of my favorite features.  Nothing beats being able to switch from free spinning to increments.  Got a massively long document you want to quickly scroll to the bottom?  Click and free spin scroll to the bottom.  Saw the page fly by real quick?  Click (it stops immediately) and increment up till you see it.  I am not kidding when I say I have become massively dependent on this feature.  I will not buy a mouse without it now.  Course... I only buy this mouse so there you go.

5) I saved the best for last.  ERGONOMICS!  This mouse is designed for the maximum hand/palm comfort.  You are programming for 8+ hours at a time.  So naturally, your hand needs to be using something comfortable.  Carpal tunnel is a real thing.  Age is unavoidable.  You are at your best when you are not hurting.  Absolutely perfect design  (although I'm not sure they make this for lefties, sorry folks)

I have two of these mice.  One for home and one for work.  Logitech replaced one of them when it was determined one of the buttons was intermittently quitting on me (I accidentally dropped someone else's file/folder somewhere in company network la la land...).  I haven't had any issues since.  The one they replaced I had bought refurbished from eBAY.  So that was pretty nice of them. 

I am absolutely serious when I tell you... best mouse ever!  Also... I don't work for Logitech nor do I get any amount of anything for this endorsement.  Just a regular CLD making sure I am at my best 24/7 answering an honest question honestly.  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 31
(4,559 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

I'm often tweaking code on the deployment system while things are being troubleshot.  I have found myself trying to use back, forward, and middle click on these machines only to realize they don't have all these fancy settings. 

This is one of my biggest pet peeves... every time I want to tweak / develop on a deployment system it is a couple hours of settings, installing all of my external packages, etc etc.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 31
(4,548 Views)

For me packages aren't that big of a deal.  I have a single VIPC that I double click and VIPM installs which modifies the LabVIEW.ini, installs all internal and external reuse, adds quick drops functions and shortcuts, adds help, and tools menu items, VI Analyzer, icon editor glyphs, templates, etc.  But mouse specific things that rely on an external software is something I don't have VIPM do at the moment, but maybe I should look into wrapping in X-Mouse into a package.  I mean to be fair the middle mouse, and back and forward aren't buttons that do anything in vanilla LabVIEW anyway.

Also I don't think I like wireless.  It is one more thing to worry about when a normal mouse just plugs in and works.  Am I too much of an old man?  I get that I can just place it in a cradle but what if I throw it in my bag and go off site forgetting the charger?

EDIT: Micro USB cables are so common I probably have 5 in my bag right now, that mouse is looking more attractive.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 31
(4,515 Views)

@Tim_McClung wrote:

... and I'm another fan!  Especially for laptops (track-pads drive me crazy, and who wants to leave greasy fingerprints on your screen?).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 31
(4,487 Views)