LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening an Executable(exe) file created by LabVIEW on remote PC

You need to refreash me a bit here but...

Are you trying to open a Labview exe from another Labview exe?

Have you tried the "System Exec.vi"

You will have to know the exact path to the exe you want to open but it should work.

I have used it many times to launch non-LV exe's and batch files.

Message Edited by RTSLVU on 11-05-2009 08:41 AM
========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 48
(1,396 Views)

Yes, I am trying to open LV exe from LV exe.

I have already tried sysexec.vi, but didn't succeed

If you are using it, please let me know the exact command you are using to open an exe on remote pc through sysexec.vi

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 48
(1,382 Views)

Ok, I scanned all the old messages in this thread and found with this post,  

Parag D wrote:

Tried Everything in my mind, but could not run the exe remotely on XP. The only logic I want to implement is to run a LabVIEW exe on a remote PC directly through a LabVIEW exe from host. Is it not possible in XP?

And a few others that lead me to believe you want to:

1. Launch a LV program on the local computer
  2. That program will launch another program on the remote computer

Right?

As far as I know there is no way to make Labview (or anything for that matter) just launch a program on a remote computer without something running on the remote that is waiting and willing to accept the remote connection.

I suggest you make a small "listener" program in LV that runs transparently, or runs in the background on the remote computer and just waits for the local computer to contact it. Then the listener can launch the main program on the remote computer when requested using any of the standard LV methods like the sysexec.vi.

The only caveat here is the listener must be always running on the remote computer. I suggest putting it in the start up group, and I think there was a  post here leading to instructions on on how to make a Labview program run in the background.

========================
========================
Message 43 of 48
(1,359 Views)
Posting in this thread after quite a long time, but I have come across this situation again. I am thinking on how to implement this without having a "listener" program running as a daemon VI on the remote PC. Is there any other way we could do this?
-FraggerFox!
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 48
(1,243 Views)

Fragger Fox wrote:
Posting in this thread after quite a long time, but I have come across this situation again. I am thinking on how to implement this without having a "listener" program running as a daemon VI on the remote PC. Is there any other way we could do this?

Simple answer, no.

Again you can not launch a program on a remote computer without a program already running on the remote computer waiting for the remote connection.

For example a remote desktop application, possibly a Telnet server (the Windows Telnet program is only a client), or a custom program.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 45 of 48
(1,233 Views)

Yesterday some of my colleagues were succesfully able to launch the LV exe on remote pc without DCOM or any other methods.......the application is showing up in the task manager of remote pc......but only its front panel is not shown......we are trying to figure out how to bring up the front panel on the remote pc.....(already used open FP property but aint working)

Message Edited by Fragger Fox on 03-09-2010 10:25 AM
-FraggerFox!
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 48
(1,211 Views)
Sounds like it was launched as a service.  You can try editing the service to allow the program to interact with the desktop.
0 Kudos
Message 47 of 48
(1,190 Views)

Fragger Fox wrote:

Yesterday some of my colleagues were successfully able to launch the LV exe on remote pc without DCOM or any other methods.......the application is showing up in the task manager of remote pc......but only its front panel is not shown......we are trying to figure out how to bring up the front panel on the remote pc.....(already used open FP property but aint working)

Message Edited by Fragger Fox on 03-09-2010 10:25 AM

I would be interested to hear the steps they took to do this without any type of interaction on the remote PC.

Makes me wonder if they are exploiting security holes.

If not it raises security concerns because if you can write a LV program that can launch executables on a remote PC without user intervention then you can write a program to install and run things like key loggers, password sniffersor other hack and spy type programs.

Message Edited by RTSLVU on 03-09-2010 07:17 AM
========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 48
(1,183 Views)