cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Application Reference over network

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello there! 

I have a question about Open Application Reference under LV7.1. I am working on some code where an executable from a PC will call basically an other VI that must be made into an exe. The call will be via System exec.vi. However I have to thinker with the memory of the caller exe via VI server. For that I need to open an application reference. According to the help I should be able to use localhost for the machine name though I am pretty sure I'll have to store this executable on a network location. So the question would be whether or not I have to get the caller PC-s address and give it to Open Application Reference, or is localhost fine? Since the VI will be ran on the same PC that the caller is I think it should work despite it being on a network location. According to the help localhost will connect with run time engine on the PC.

If this is not the case how can I easily pass the caller PCs address? Sadly I can not alter the caller side, however I have some limited control over the string that system exec.vi gets. It is very limited though as I am forced to have the following syntax: [UNC path of .exe file to be called][space][parameter1] [space] [parameter2][….] so I can not include anything like \k before the path to the executable. I can probably use the "after" parameters but that won't help much I believe....

I hope my question is understandable J Though regrettable I think I can not show any useful code to help better understand it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,355 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author huntersoa

Since caller and called programs should run on the same machine, localhost is fine.

You should make sure that VI Server is disabled for the calling program (or at least configured to listen on a different port). This can be done via settings into the application ini file.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
Message 2 of 3
(2,343 Views)

I tested the functionality and it seems to be working 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,305 Views)