LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ocean Optics USB4000 Spectrometer

It looks like Ocean Optics has drivers for their spectrometers that work with LabVIEW available for purchase.

OmniDriver Spectroscopy Development Platform

Ben

National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
Certified TestStand Developer
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 277
(6,803 Views)

True, the drivers are available for purchase.  However, they are still in beta state fro LabView.  OmniDriver is a multi-platform driver set (C, Unix, .NET, LabView).  Unfortunately, I am having some problems with the drivers on LabView 8.6 ob Windows XP.  The drivers sometimes do not initialize the USB4000 spectrometer that I am using.  Has anyone else noticed this problem or found a solution?  Is there a VI set that works for these that can be forwarded to me?  Any help is much appreciated.

- David

davidpacebo@aol.com 

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. -AE
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 277
(6,785 Views)

Hey David,

I purchased the OmniDriver + SPAM platform with the USB4000. I have the same problem than you (LV8.5.1 and LV8.6.0). The spectrometer sometimes doesn't respond. The only solution I found to this problem is to replug the spectrometer when it happens.

I don't think there is a VI that can fix the issue with this spectrometer because basically the LabVIEW library from the OmniDriver platform consists in a sequence of Call Library Function nodes calling some functions from a dll written in java language. In my opinion the problem is due to the calling protocol or an internal dll bug. 

You can contact Ocean Optics and try to get in touch with one of their software developers but once again their LabVIEW drivers just call their java dll...

I enclose a printscreen of one the 'LabVIEW drivers' functions Ocean Optics provide with the OmniDriver platform. You may recognize that there are objects that have to be created like in Java language because it's based on a java dll!!. LabVIEW is a great technology but in this case I think it would be easier to develop your own GUI directly with java or C#.

Good luck

Charly

Message Edited by CharlyStardust on 11-24-2008 05:57 PM
It's always sunny in California! Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer!
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 277
(6,775 Views)

Wow that's ugly code.  Is that code supplied by Ocean Optics?

I've been meaning to write my own pure G driver (same code for Win, Mac and Linux) for the USB 4000, but I don't have a device so I can't get started.  I'm in a project where that may well be an issue soon.

It's actually not that difficult to communicate directly with the spectrometer via VISA and USB.

I'll notify you if anything in this direction happens.

Shane. 

Message 24 of 277
(6,755 Views)

Hi Shane,

How do you know the communication protocol to communicate directly via VISA or USB with the spectrometer? How do you talk to the firmware without using the OmniDriverSPAM.dll?

If you can develop your own pure G driver for the USB4000 you're going to be very popular!

Charly

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 277
(6,741 Views)

I worked for a few years in spectrometer development.

Not for ocean optics, but once in the fold.....

Shane. 

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 277
(6,736 Views)

To answer your question in your previous post: what I uploaded is the 'LV driver' subVI provided by Ocean Optics to detect/initialize the USB4000 spectrometer.

Typically the LabVIEW driver you look a bit better. I enclose some pictures to let you know how it is.

To sum up it's messy, not adapted to LabVIEW but it works ok (not great though)

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 277
(6,731 Views)

Hello All,

Just thought I would add my 2 cents.  I have included many of the vi's used in the OO driver with a consistant connector pane and the error tunnels implemented as well as an example using a few of the functions.

regards,

Karl

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 277
(6,718 Views)

Hi MAH2681!

I am also working with an USB2000 and I am highly interested on the VIs you mentioned for the USB2000.

I'll be grateful if there is a way you to send me the VIs. Is this somehow possible?

Best Regards, Stefan

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 277
(6,669 Views)

Thanks, CharlyStardust!  I'll give this a try.  Does anyone have information or suggestions as far as commanding the spectrometer to take a baseline, light, and dark readings? I need to take transmittance as well as radiometric readings for my experiment.  I've been working on a G app on my own, but am working out problems with stability. 

Thanks in advance

- David

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. -AE
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 277
(6,583 Views)